Keeping backyard feral from pooping in a particular spot?

sceptr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, we are guardians to a feral kitty who lives in our garden. My partner is finding that a particular bed where he is growing peas has become the preferred “litter” spot for the kitty. I think it’s probably just because the plants are small so the bed is mostly dirt right now. We obviously don’t want to do anything to repel the cat entirely, just to disincentivize him from using this spot. But we also don’t want to do anything that would change the soil in any way that might affect the plants. Does anyone have suggestions?

I know there’s some commercially available stuff, but I’m not sure if it would be TOO disagreeable to the cat (his favorite sleeping spots are probably 10-15 feet away so don’t want to ruin those for him). I’ve read citrus and rue as suggestions but my partner is skeptical - has anyone had positive results using these? I’ve also read lavender, but this kitty doesn’t mind sleeping right next to a lavender plant so I don’t think that would be likely to work for him.

I’ve also read making the ground less pleasing to dig in, using material like eggshells, etc.

I’ve also seen people suggesting spraying a water/essential oil mixture, but I know there are some concerns out there about cats and essential oils that I am not well informed on.

Has anyone tried any of these, or other, options that you would recommend? Thank you!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sceptr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
(I should add, we are open to having a litter box setup for him, or putting litter in some out-of-the-way part of the yard, but I’m not sure if that’s a bad idea.)

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the pea plants are tiny enough - lay chicken wire fencing over the ground. Cat cannot dig, won't use the area. To get really good results make a frame of 1" X 3" boards the size of the area and staple the chicken wire to that. Makes it easier to lift and store for next season.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't think that the litter box outdoors is a bad idea; I have never done it and I don't know if it will attract other animals or more cats....or tip off a predator that a cat is there. Others might comment.

My suggestion was going to be chicken wire fencing. I used cat repellant years ago to try to keep an outdoor cat out of a neighbor's yard but it was worthless. Same with predator urine. My personal pet cats hate orange in any form, so that is an idea. With any essential oil you would have to check cat interactions with it before you used it.