Keeping a geriatric kitty warm and cozy safely during the day

sillywoody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 19 years 8 month old kitty who is doing pretty well.

In winter bc my place gets on the colder side, I have been keeping a heating pad on for him that he absolutely loves. I also keep warm wool blankets piled up for him.

Since i have been working from home that’s been fine, but for safety reasons I cannot leave the heating pad on when I go

Any ideas how to keep him safely toasty during the day? FYI I looked into those microwavable discs, and I was horrified by the number of people that reported theirs melted…since I will be away and my old man isn’t very mobile, I wish there was a way to keep him warm that was 100% safe for him.

Any and all ideas appreciated.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use a pet bed warmer or heated pet bed, but you can also use a self heating pet bed or mat. I prefer K&H brand as they are high quality and they remain at ambient room temp if the cat isn't on the electric warmer. If using a pet bed warmer, I wrap it in a bathroom hand towel so it's not right up against them. Here's an example from the Amazon US site. Not sure if available in Canada.

Electric pet bed warmers: Amazon.com or Amazon.com

Self-warming mat Amazon.com

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I use all three of those products listed above and have been very happy with them. As for the microwavable discs, I have several of those as well, mostly left over from some ferals whose beds could not be heated otherwise. They can be safely heated if you read the instructions carefully and take note of the wattage of your microwave. I melted one...totally my fault for not paying attention to how long I indicated it needed to heat.

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Depending on where he likes to sleep and if there’s something above it, radiant heat panel (mounted above his bed) plus thermostat. This the only way I have been able to generate heat without being paranoid about fire risk.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Self heating mats might be the best way to do.

I've used some click discs previously and my own magic bag under a blanket.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Depending on where he likes to sleep and if there’s something above it, radiant heat panel (mounted above his bed) plus thermostat. This the only way I have been able to generate heat without being paranoid about fire risk.
I have a few of these. They are wonderful, and very safe IME.
Keeping the bed areas out of drafty areas alone helps. Offering a bed in a few different areas at a few different temperatures is nice as kitty can choose where he or she is most comfortable. :)