Keep plants out of reach

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Watch out for toxic plants! I actually thought Molly had a bad batch of food as she wasn’t herself..not interested in her food… so threw her food out …then noticed her new bag had a formula change! She had diarrhea and threw up once every morning !So we searched for the old formula and found one and she began feeling better. Lo and behold, I had moved a plant to the living room and she took notice and we found teeth marks in the leaves!! I’m not a plant person but someone gifted me one months ago and I never even THOUGHT about it being toxic . Molly never went near it until now. 😫
She is so happy to be feeling back to her 13 yr old self 😊 … jumpin on shadows!!
F259B88D-5C1A-446F-AC20-6616C7FCD017.jpeg

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is the reason why I never even bring fresh flowers into the house. And only have artificial plants, even though I'd love to have real ones because they are good for the air. But I'm paranoid about the cats being around anything that might be harmful. And I've given away beautiful flower arrangements that have been delivered for my birthday, etc. My neighbors love it :lol:.

Anyway, so glad Molly is feeling better now.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the warning it might help someone. My mother in law got me some flowers and was surprised when I googled if they were safe before I even touched them. Unfortunately she ended up taking them to her house, I did feel bad but it was better to let her know any plants or flowers need to be cat friendly. My daughter has cat's too so I know any flowers from her have been checked cat safe. Florists sell cat safe flowers that haven't been anywhere near things like lilies. Glad Molly is herself again.

Geul

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Interesting topic. I never thought about that. I have a cat but she doesn't pay much attention to our home plants. Thanks for enlightening me.

Islandsportivo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What about spider plants? Can cats eat them? We have t lots of them around the house?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The ASPCA lists spider plants are non-toxic to cats: Spider Plant

Keep watering cans out of reach from cats, too, especially if you add fertilizers / plant food to the water. Ingesting fertilizers can be harmful.

Donny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Watch out for toxic plants! I actually thought Molly had a bad batch of food as she wasn’t herself..not interested in her food… so threw her food out …then noticed her new bag had a formula change! She had diarrhea and threw up once every morning !So we searched for the old formula and found one and she began feeling better. Lo and behold, I had moved a plant to the living room and she took notice and we found teeth marks in the leaves!! I’m not a plant person but someone gifted me one months ago and I never even THOUGHT about it being toxic . Molly never went near it until now. 😫
She is so happy to be feeling back to her 13 yr old self 😊 … jumpin on shadows!!
View attachment 409600
Happy that Molly is ok! Thanks for sharing the story!

Revison

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What about spider plants? Can cats eat them? We have t lots of them around the house?
You should be very careful with your home plants. I used to think that home plants are totally safe, however, there are some that are toxic if eating and some can even evaporate toxicals. According to https://www.cаtfoodpoint.com/are-spider-plants-toxic-to-cats/ article, spider plants are non-toxic to cats and dogs. However, if they nibble too much, an upset stomach may follow.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not only house plants may be toxic, but even garden plants, both flower plants and "wild" plants.

My cat Giada chewed on the leaf of a Lily plant, but I saw her and everything went fine (I rehomed the plant to a neighbor). Also I caught her trying to chew on a hop wild plant that is growing in a corner of my backyard.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes they are fine. Any plant if eaten too much can cause them to vomit it up.

Spider plants can cause hallucinations in cats and are an opiate to them. I do limit their access by hanging the plants for this purpose.

African violets, moth orchids (only type of orchid), many herbs like thyme, basil, sage and rosemary are safe for cats. Most true ferns are non-toxic and many palms.

Common plants that are toxic include: snake plants, crotons, ivys, orchids, most bulb plants like daffodils and tulips. False clover is also toxic. Many tropical plants.

Common plants that are deadly: poinsettia, lilys, etc.

SafariDoc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
FWIW ... although I love plants, I stopped keeping living plants in my home when I adopted my cat.

Just didn't want to take any chances - especially since my cat loves to nibble and hew on anything that is green.

Seriously, if my cat had her way, our home would be filled with lots of green plants!

Now, I have artificial plants in my home, and to be honest, many of the artificial plants look more REAL than the actual living plants.

Go figure! :-)