Kato

bobingersoll

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kato came into our family two years ago. I was furious. We already had 5 cats and 2 dogs (all strays that we took in) and then my girlfriends sister drops another stray at our house while we were away for a few days. I was furious!
When we got home we discovered this little bundle.

Well, what the heck. Over the next 2 years he became my best buddy. He would greet me in the mornings and afternoons after I got home from my bus run and would climb aboard and make him self at home until I was ready to disembark.

But, unlike our other...mature cats, Kato was a wanderer. He was very hard to keep at home. I figured, like our others, when he got older he would outgrow that tendency.

Unfortunately, my Kato would not live long enough. He was attacked by a dog, severely mangling and breaking both front legs. We had to have him put down.
Kato had no fear. He probably observed the dog approaching and just laid on his back submissively.

It's been almost three weeks now since I buried him in our little cemetery next to our other cats and dogs that have gone on...but I just can't seem to get past this. We have had to put down 4 dogs and 4 cats over the past 13 years, and as much as I loved them all, no loss has affected me like the loss of Kato. I don't understand. I just wish so much that he would come in now and rub against my legs as I am typing this.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart goes out to you in your grief, I know it too well. Of course you miss your little buddy, he was more then just a cat, he was a family member. There are those that come into your life and share it for a while that are bonded with your soul. Kato was bonded to yours. Sometimes as we get older, our own mortality is better realized and death affects us differently than when we were younger. None of us are guaranteed a tomorrow.
Kato walked with you for a while along your life's journey, he packed a lot of life and a lot of love into that short little life. The path he follows now will forever parallel your own. His soul is bonded with your own, so he will forever be as near as your thoughts and your prayers. Death cannot take that which never dies....your love. He would never want you to be so sad over his leaving. You would want him to go forward into life and find love and happiness once more if you were the first to go, he is no different. Send him comfort and joy, allow this to help his love continue to bloom, continue to grow. Grief is a darkness that withers love and happiness, don't allow his death to surpass what you shared in life. Don't let it be more important than that sweet little life. Concentrate on those wonderful memories you have and the beautiful legacy he left you.
I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers, take care of yourself, you are among friends here at the Cat Site......RIP beautiful Kato, you will never be forgotten, you will forever have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so glad you came here.

I'm so very very sorry he didn't have a longer time on this earth, with you.
It sounds like he did an absolutely awesome job of fulfilling his catly duties of providing you with a shining light while he was here.

RIP, darling baby, your pain is gone, and your grace and strength are returned to you. :rbheart:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Kato, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

Sometimes, if we are lucky, that one cat comes along. The one who looks into not only our eyes, but our souls. The one who purrs the song of our life to us when we have forgotten it. No matter how long they stay with us, it is not long enough. Forever would not be long enough. But despite the grief and the pain of losing their physical presence, they have stretched our hearts and souls, made us better for knowing them, and we are blessed. Love never dies, you know, it only changes form and continues on, still Love. It abides. Kato has shrugged off his heavy coat of flesh that was too hurt to support his great spirit and loving heart. He dances on starlight now, still loving you.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
This is terrible, so sorry that happened. I am always afraid that one of ours will sneak outside (they are all indoor after being strays), I am so afraid something terrible like this would happen. He was your favorite and little buddy, and that is going to be very hard to overcome, but you will, it will take a long time and the road will be very bumpy but one day you'll be able to look back and it won't "sting" as much as it does know. But I am sorry, this was very sudden and catastrophic and hurts like hell I know, very sad.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am so sorry for your loss, I hope your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

Plumeria

Leroy's Mommy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kato is a beauty. He seems to light up my room just looking at his photos. I think I know what you mean by not being able to get past his passing. It was sudden, unexpected, premature, and tragic. The shock alone is enough to knock the wind out of you. You replay his last moments over and over again, wonder how in the world this could’ve happened. It is absolutely normal for you to have a harder time dealing with this kind of loss. It’s traumatic. I think you have to give yourself lots of time, and do whatever you need to do, to help yourself grieve and deal with this loss.

I, too, am struggling to get past the loss of my most recent cat, Leroy. He died 2 months ago from brain cancer. I had never lost a cat prematurely at a younger age, or from a tragic illness like cancer, and having a difficult time with it all. I cry everyday and take it one day at a time.

It is evident from your post that this little guy really stole your heart. The bond you two shared will never die and Kato will always be with you. He carries a piece of your heart with him so he always feels your love....till you meet again.:angel::grouphug: :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bobingersoll

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your words and thoughts for me and my Kato. Three weeks today and I am so sad. It comes and goes...and comes...

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Three weeks is not long at all, the hurt is still raw and gaping. Time is the only thing that helps to heal a broken heart. It takes a lot of it. Like the sea, the waves of grief will wash up again and again. sometimes placid and small, sometimes a tsunami. Let friends help you through this, you need distraction from your grief.

LisaT.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi bobingersoll!
I am so very sorry for your loss. Kato was a little doll, and he looks so snuggly and sweet. I lost my cat, Beamer, in January and it is still raw for me. Like di and bob said, time helps. Hope you're doing okay.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bobingersoll

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Lisa - It has been going on 5 weeks now and, while I don't get terribly emotional every day, numerous times a week I just have to sit and cry it out. I go down to his grave daily, just for a moment.
Part of me keeps wishing that another stray will come into our yard, but I am so fearful of getting this attached again.

LisaT.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You might think this is too soon, but I got Theo about 2 weeks after Beamer died. I am sooo glad I did. It did not make any difference in dealing with my grief for Beamer, but having Theo made life happy around the apt again for me and my little girl cat, Windy. I was completely attached to Theo in hardly any time. I LOVE my little boy! But, I still miss my Beamer so much. I'm so glad I have pictures of him all over and his ashes are in a point in my living room that I can look at any time, or talk to, which I do every day. I also wear a memorial necklace with his name on it, that I will never part with. Makes me feel like I have him around all the time. I hope a little stray comes into your yard again. Hope it's okay to say that.