Just something to watch out for with Chewy and maybe others

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They are great to deal with but look at your sales tax closely. For instance on $360 worth of product they charged me $30! Now I live I a rural area so only state tax of 4.222.
I called them on it and they did give me a discount BUT the tax rate stayed at a little over 8%!
So I’m wondering why? Who gets the extra almost 4%? Or am I missing something.

this is the second time I’ve called them on it. The first time they did adjust the tax but it apparently was not a permanent adjustment.

I’m thinking we’re talking about a LOT of money if it even occurs with rural customers charged the nearest city rate plus state.

any thoughts?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sales tax laws can be tricky to understand. What/how much tax to charge depends on many factors, including but not limited to the presence of a business in a buyer's state/city/municipality. Various goods and services also can have different sales tax rates. There are also rules pertaining to the origin or designation of an item, meaning that some sales tax will be based on where the item ships from and others based on where the item is shipped to. Sales tax at government levels underneath the state level can also add to/impact the amount of sales tax charged.

Given the tax amount you noted above, I would at a minimum ask Chewy for a breakdown of tax applied to each item you bought - that might help to clarify a bit why the amount is higher than you expected.

I doubt you will want to read this article, but it does explain the nuances associated with sales taxing.
Online Sales Tax Guide By State for Ecommerce Sellers (ecommerceceo.com)

Last edited: