Just got my two 6 month old cats spayed, have questions.

dthor68

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have seen several you tube videos showing cats that look out of it and are just chilled after being spayed. My cats have been non stop crying and trying to get out of their cages, is this normal? They will not relax at all. Neither one kept their cone on and were really wigging out with it. So I put them both in those body suits to keep them from messing with the wounds. I am keeping each in a kennal so that they wont jump and they are so hell bent on trying to get out that I am woried it is not much different than jumping and playing rough. I have a feeling it is going o be a long night.

Thanks for any help,

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It might be the kennel that is upsetting them. Is there any other option, like a small bathroom, where you can put them? If you did that, would they try to jump up on the counter? Would separating them cut down on the chance of rough play and jumping?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dthor68

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, I think it is the kennel too. I have them in closets now, things seem to be much better. The closets are much bigger than the kennel and there is plenty of room for food/water/literbox.

dthor68

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
and nothing for them to jump on.

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After Penny was spayed we confined her to one room and she went absolutely insane. By some acrobatic feat she ended up in the rafters of the house and it was horrible, I thought for sure she would damage herself, split open her stitches or something irreversible. We finally got her down and I just let her have the run of the house. After the kittens got spayed and neutered, I wasn’t about to make the same mistake. I just let them out of the carrier as if nothing had ever happened, and they acted very crazy for awhile and then fell asleep. All three cats healed up just fine. None of them overly groomed the area of the wound. Of course, you have to do what you think is best, this is just how things went for me.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have had to release many TNRed ferals after one night at the vet's and no one was ever worse for it. Many ran right for a wall and jumped over it. But it is best to try to keep them quiet if you can.

dthor68

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats are doing real well. They gave me 2 pain killers per cat and I as of now do not think I will give them to the cats. They have been drinking and eating small meals and purr like crazy. BTW, my wife got her money back for the kennal. Thanks for the responses everyone.