Just Found Out My Cats Have Tapeworms And I'm 3 Months Pregnant

Krisunia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
it's 4 am here and I've been unable to go back to sleep. A few hours ago I woke up and noticed a white rice-like worm in my hair. I immediately knew it was tapeworm because my cat has been treated for it before. He was sleeping on the header of my bed & I guess they must have fallen off and ended up on my hair. The vet is closed on wednesdays so I'd have to wait until tomorrow to call. But my biggest concern right now is my unborn baby. I'm scared I may have ingested a segment or something. God I hope I didn't. I cleaned up the header and my pillows and let my cat sleep on the floor. I was sleeping on my left side hugging a pillows. I haven't found any dry segments there but Im freaking out more because it was in my hair. I have 2 cats and they both like sleeping on my bed. But now I guess I'm going to have to let them sleep elsewhere for the sake of my unborn baby. I haven't been able to go back to sleep because of how worried I am that this will harm my pregnancy. It's my first so every thing that has been happening to me (pregnancy-wise) scares me. Now this happens and it's another worry for me. I hope my baby isn't affected by any of this. I know I might have posted this on the wrong thread but I didn't know where else to put it.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krisunia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Anyone here can give me a little insight or reassurance?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can't get tapeworms from ingesting a segment :). You would have to ingest a flea that is carrying tapeworm eggs (or eat a rabbit that has tapeworms (raw) but I think that's unlikely ;)). From what I can find, tapeworm isn't harmful to the fetus unless it's an advanced infestation, bad enough to remove nutrients. It's unlikely you'll get it, and if it does happen, you can take meds once you're in the 2nd trimester. If you're worried you can have your doctor run a stool sample.

For the cats, just call the vet and ask for some Drontal. Also make sure the cats are treated for fleas because that's how they get tapeworms.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krisunia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can't get tapeworms from ingesting a segment :). You would have to ingest a flea that is carrying tapeworm eggs (or eat a rabbit that has tapeworms (raw) but I think that's unlikely ;)). From what I can find, tapeworm isn't harmful to the fetus unless it's an advanced infestation, bad enough to remove nutrients. It's unlikely you'll get it, and if it does happen, you can take meds once you're in the 2nd trimester. If you're worried you can have your doctor run a stool sample.

For the cats, just call the vet and ask for some Drontal. Also make sure the cats are treated for fleas because that's how they get tapeworms.
Thank you. Luckily tomorrow the clinic is open. I've been really nervous about this pregnancy and I've been doing everything I can to keep my baby healthy. You can just imagine how easily scared I got when I realized this in the morning. My poor kitty probably feels so uncomfortable and yet has no idea what is going on. But all this will get better with a quick visit to the vet!

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Like said above, it's honestly kind of hard to contract tape worms from animals. Humans usually get those from food. Ring worm is the main "worm" that spreads from contact between animals and humans. Often times worms that plague animals can't even survive in a humans system, especially if not given a direct route to their ideal area.
You and your baby will be fine, we had a black lab for over ten years who I swear never went over three months without tape worms even on a routine wormer and we never ever, ever contracted them.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
it's 4 am here and I've been unable to go back to sleep. A few hours ago I woke up and noticed a white rice-like worm in my hair. I immediately knew it was tapeworm because my cat has been treated for it before. He was sleeping on the header of my bed & I guess they must have fallen off and ended up on my hair. The vet is closed on wednesdays so I'd have to wait until tomorrow to call. But my biggest concern right now is my unborn baby. I'm scared I may have ingested a segment or something. God I hope I didn't. I cleaned up the header and my pillows and let my cat sleep on the floor. I was sleeping on my left side hugging a pillows. I haven't found any dry segments there but Im freaking out more because it was in my hair. I have 2 cats and they both like sleeping on my bed. But now I guess I'm going to have to let them sleep elsewhere for the sake of my unborn baby. I haven't been able to go back to sleep because of how worried I am that this will harm my pregnancy. It's my first so every thing that has been happening to me (pregnancy-wise) scares me. Now this happens and it's another worry for me. I hope my baby isn't affected by any of this. I know I might have posted this on the wrong thread but I didn't know where else to put it.
Tapeworms as parasites have specific animals that they infect. The tape worms that cats get don't infect people and tape worms that people get don't infect cats. But they still are really creepy to find especially if its on you.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Ring worm is the main "worm" that spreads from contact between animals and humans.
Just an FYI, ringworm is not a parasite, it's a minor skin fungal infection.

The biggie with cats is toxoplasmosis. If possible, make someone else clean the litter box and do not garden or do anything else involving digging in dirt. If not possible, buy some surgical gloves for cleaning time and then scrub the heck out of your hands after removing the gloves. Either way, don't feed the cats a raw diet, toss all kitty litter in the box daily and don't let the cats out.

Ironically if you've been infected with the parasite well prior to getting pregnant your baby is nearly completely safe as your antibodies will protect it. Infections that occur during or just prior to pregnancies are the problem. A titer test can tell if you've got the antibodies.

Now for the obligatory pregnancy advice - relax. Relax and have a non-alcoholic drink. No matter what you do, someone will say you're doing something bad or harmful, because literally everything is bad in some way. Rest is bad, being active is bad, watching calories is bad, not watching calories is bad, being in the sun is bad, not being in the sun is bad, and on and on. And the old wives' tales regarding pregnancy are crazy, and chances are an older generation is going to scream bloody murder over you following your doctor's advice. And it doesn't end, first is the "proper" way to give birth (what gets the kid out in one piece and keeps you alive is proper, regardless of natural birth or pain killers or c-sections), and second when the kid is born you join the Mommy Wars, where everything you do is bad or harmful for your kid until he or she reaches maybe 35 years old.

So relax. And put your feet up, unless you don't want to. Either way, it's bad, but the kid is going to pop out just fine.