Just an observation and worry

dogperson2cats

Dog person but has cats for some reason
Adult Cat
Purraise
My moms cat (the one she's STILL threatening to get declawed for kneading) is missing most his back claws. He's got all his beans but not the claws. The vet says it's possible they were torn out in a fight since he was a street cat or, it just wasn't born with them. But given he has foot issues, we're betting it's the first. (Nothing impacting his life or anything; just a thought it's connected.)

I've also noticed one of my cats front paws (her 'ring finger', if you will) has a claw that's...stuck? It only comes out half way (if that) and doesn't go all the way inside and she's snagged it a couple times which made her limp for a couple days. I don't know if she's always been like that (she was the runt and escaped abuse before her eyes opened; they cut her tail off for Gods' sake!) or if it was an injury. Until she snags it, she walks 100% fine and it doesn't impact or limit her.

I am just worried that as she gets older (middle-aged now), she'll snag it again and either rip it out (the claw I mean) or *really* mess up her paw to where total paw amputation or euthanasia come up. I cannot afford anything of course but I have been researching having that one claw removed and if it was even possible. (I mean, I've seen it done in the states by rescues so why not Canada?)

I am 100% against declawing of any kind unless it's for the best (injury, deformity, ect) but do you guys think I should look further into the removal of that one claw before it becomes a bigger issue? I am just thinking 'What if?' and looking out for her; I complain about her loads but she really is my best friend and I want to always make sure she's able to be an active cat. I've been concerned with that claw for a few years but everyone dismissed it because she was very young (3) and 'would bounce back' if she did get hurt. But now, like I said she's middle-aged and has had some issues before health-wise.

So yeah...advise please and thanks? As payment I'll try and get a pic of her in her Santa suit!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she let you clip her nails at all? If so, I'd just keep that one claw very short at all times.

I had one cat who pulled out a claw at least 3 or 4 times. Among all the other cats I don't think it's happened more than 3 or 4 times total; she was just clumsy I guess! But anyway they grew back just fine and didn't get infected or anything.

I'm surprised your mom's cat's claws didn't grow back. Unless the nail bed is fully amputated, they usually come back, even a bad de-claw can come back (although usually deformed and painful).

I definitely wouldn't put the cat under anesthetic just for the claw, but if she needs a dental or something you could ask the vet about doing the claw at the same time, although if keeping the claw clipped short is an option the vet may not think it's a good idea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dogperson2cats

Adult Cat
Purraise
Does she let you clip her nails at all? If so, I'd just keep that one claw very short at all times.

I had one cat who pulled out a claw at least 3 or 4 times. Among all the other cats I don't think it's happened more than 3 or 4 times total; she was just clumsy I guess! But anyway they grew back just fine and didn't get infected or anything.

I'm surprised your mom's cat's claws didn't grow back. Unless the nail bed is fully amputated, they usually come back, even a bad de-claw can come back (although usually deformed and painful).

I definitely wouldn't put the cat under anesthetic just for the claw, but if she needs a dental or something you could ask the vet about doing the claw at the same time, although if keeping the claw clipped short is an option the vet may not think it's a good idea.

Touch her paws and you will lose an eye. (Touch her in most cases and you will lose something. She's a love-bug but only when she comes to you.)

I cant explain it, of course. He has all his toe beans fully formed but those claws just aren't there.

Funny; we don't pay attention to cats' teeth but yet they have perfect and better teeth than us? I'm always telling mine she has the cutest smile and "sparkling teefies". (I turn to a dolt when talking to her omg she's so cute.)

Right now she's staring at me from a dark corner snarling like a demon because she got that claw stuck in the carpet and I freed her....can cats be bi polar?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Research is always good to be informed but before researching anymore I would talk to your vet and ask him/her what are the options for your cat. Then weigh the pros and cons. And don't forget your payment, i.e. a pic of her in her Santa suit. :santa:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are all of his rear claws missing? I've heard of people having their cat's back paws de-clawed because they scratched themselves to the point of injury, I wonder if that's what happened.

Can you sneak up on your cat while she's sleeping and clip that one claw before she wakes up? I've had limited success with that but sometimes it works, lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dogperson2cats

Adult Cat
Purraise
Research is always good to be informed but before researching anymore I would talk to your vet and ask him/her what are the options for your cat. Then weigh the pros and cons. And don't forget your payment, i.e. a pic of her in her Santa suit. :santa:

Always! Now I probably would never be able to afford it without a go-fund-me type thing because flat broke and this vet is a money-loving jerk most the time. (I swear he throws a dart at numbers and whatever it lands on is what he asks for.) But of course, if it came down to her needing it, I'd do anything for her.

I said I'd try! She must have sensed my plans because she spent the day out in a storm to avoid me... How about a pic of her in general? I found the only known photo of her as a kitten! (Stole it off my ex best friends FB page!) Like a Gremlin and Tribble had a kid...

Attachments