Just Adopted Cat on Prescription Diet

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Long time since my last post and my entire cat lineup has unfortunately changed.

I just adopted a cat on a prescription food for a prior blockage. He has not had a blockage in at least three years and is five years old.

I hate Hills and Royal Canin on principal as the prescription pet food industry seems to sell crappy food at a high premium. I don't see how food filled with corn and wheat could ever be the best choice for an obligate carnivore.

What are things in cat food that should be avoided for urinary crystals? Are there values I should look for when buying canned food for him?

Luckily he already seems to be more interested in wet food than kibble.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Long time since my last post and my entire cat lineup has unfortunately changed.

I just adopted a cat on a prescription food for a prior blockage. He has not had a blockage in at least three years and is five years old.

I hate Hills and Royal Canin on principal as the prescription pet food industry seems to sell crappy food at a high premium. I don't see how food filled with corn and wheat could ever be the best choice for an obligate carnivore.

What are things in cat food that should be avoided for urinary crystals? Are there values I should look for when buying canned food for him?

Luckily he already seems to be more interested in wet food than kibble.
I've heard most canned and wet foods are better than even the best urinary kibble, so while I have no brand suggestions for you I'd imagine if he's into canned food, this is going to help him a lot. :)
Tempting as it may be, I would personally keep him on his Rx diet while he settles in (a few weeks or so) and then slowly do a gradual switch.
Does he drink plenty of water?
Enjoy your new buddy. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will definitely be keeping him on what he is on temporarily as I plan to also get some advice from my vet before doing any switches. Right now, he is hiding under the bed, so not sure on his real water intake yet as he is obviously still settling in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has now been home a week and is settling in well. He was initially very afraid of the dogs but has quickly learned that they won't hurt him. Cat to cat intros will come later.

He loves his cat fountain and drinks well. He is not too excited about dry cat kibble, so I'll probably just take it out of his diet over the next few months since I'm sure it won't help any issues he has.