Just a question

EnjixKiri111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know generally essential oils aren't safe for cats, but is it only when they ingest it or you apply it topically on them?

I'm asking because I like putting a drop of lavender or other oils like ylang ylang on my wrist, I dont do it often, very rarely actually, just lately I've had sleeping problems and lavender helps and I've read somewhere it's the only "safe" one. My cats have shown no reaction to it, the older one just wrinkles her nose and walks away and the kitten even sniffed it for a bit showing no distaste.

I like wearing them as perfume too I've done so in the past, so I finally wanna settle things, is it okay if I do or no? I thought since it's only on me and not on them it would be okay. If not I'll just apply it when I'm outside and remove it when I come back home 😂

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not just ingestion and topical exposure to worry about but also a respiratory risk. If you can smell it, you're inhaling it. If you can smell it, your cats can smell it that much stronger. And they are inhaling it too.

That said, this site doesn't appear to be as concerned about the respiratory risk as much as the ingestion or topical routes. If you are just applying a drop or two to yourself, it's probably okay as long as you aren't getting it on the cats and they aren't licking it off of you. At least while it's on you, they have the option to walk away. When it's diffused in the air, it's less concentrated, but it's also harder to escape.

I would say use it sparingly inside the home and watch for signs of respiratory distress or toxicity.

Essential Oils and Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnjixKiri111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's not just ingestion and topical exposure to worry about but also a respiratory risk. If you can smell it, you're inhaling it. If you can smell it, your cats can smell it that much stronger. And they are inhaling it too.

That said, this site doesn't appear to be as concerned about the respiratory risk as much as the ingestion or topical routes. If you are just applying a drop or two to yourself, it's probably okay as long as you aren't getting it on the cats and they aren't licking it off of you. At least while it's on you, they have the option to walk away. When it's diffused in the air, it's less concentrated, but it's also harder to escape.

I would say use it sparingly inside the home and watch for signs of respiratory distress or toxicity.

Essential Oils and Cats
Thank you ♥ I definitely dont diffuse it and I'll use it rarely on myself too 🥰

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Plant Therapy has a few articles on their website regarding pets and EOs. Some EOs can be used with horses and dogs, but because cats' systems are so different, they are never recommended. The general consensus is that you want to make sure your cat has an escape route if you're using EOs. I have learned to use them passively, properly diluted in a carrier oil or balm, in lip balms, on a passive diffuser, or in soaps and things like that.

Essential Oils and Pets
Essential Oils and Cats

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
All I can tell you is I used to used lavender oil on my wrists and in candles and stopped it cold: my cat started foaming at the mouth. Now, if I have a scent at all, it is something herby, like Meyer’s Basil. (And I called Meyer’s up, to ask them which ones are safe, and honestly they said: “Well, it hasn’t been tested on any animal, so we don’t know.”) But I do know that cats like basil, and Zorro has had no reaction to it. Though it might be hard to wean yourself of scents, I think you’ll find relief knowing you haven’t harmed your cat.