Just a question regarding my cat after receiving a enema

jaccetturo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After receiving an enema, my cat immediately went to the bathroom after that completely disappeared. She hide all night in a place that was very unlikely. this morning she got up and ate food and noticed her butt was very red and wet. she keeps licking her button area but salivating due to the horrible taste. she walks with her butt down and can’t walk a couple of inches without sitting down. is this normal for an older car to have these effects? she hasn’t been her self. what should i do?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaccetturo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
she’s also 14 years old

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Given her age, I would call the vet and let them know how she is behaving.

I do know that some cats who have enemas are also given fluids, as the enema can be dehydrating. Was she given fluids? I have also heard that some 'dribbling' might occur after an enema, so that might be why she is licking so much, which would likely exacerbate any soreness already existing. I still think you should talk to the vet about it.

If she is eating and drinking, that is a good sign. Let us know what the vet says!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, to everything that FeebysOwner FeebysOwner suggested, and will add that a TINY dab of olive oil on her anus might soothe it some. Olive oil is safe in small doses for cats, so her grooming it off wouldn't be an issue.