Jiji - Our Foster in the Heavens

bibi_Jiji

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our sweet foster passed away on 9/13/23 at the age of 4-6 months. We only had her for 26 days but although it was such a short time, Jiji was loved and cared for by us and the best vets in the area. Jiji was 1.8lbs at her passing, very far away from a healthy weight of 4-6lbs and only putting on 0.2lbs from the time we had her. She lost her battle at 5:53pm due to failure to thrive and suspected pneumonia as we rushed her to an emergency vet. The antibiotics did not work and were later donated to our local shelter, in the hope another little kitten could be saved with them. Our vets agree that there was something internally wrong with her, possibly due to genetics. She had been slowly withering away as soon as we got her, unbeknownst to us, but she knew she wanted a home even in the short time she had. We come to terms that we tried everything we could and we loved her even in her last moments. We are grateful we could be there when she took her last breath. We had hoped she would make it through the night but sadly this was not the case.

We will be getting her ashes back soon where she will have a home for the rest of our lives. Jiji enjoyed playing with her cat stick toy and enjoyed napping in our laps. Her love for chicken breast was unmatched and she had the loudest little purr imaginable. She was such a good girl when it came to trimming her nails and even enjoyed the shower where the steam let her breath a little easier. We had so many adventures planned in my head. I was going to harness train her so we could eventually go hiking and road trips. Her collar and tags were still in my Esty shopping cart. She was going to be my little sidekick for the next 20 years, I hoped. I have cried and wailed these past few days but am slowly healing my heart. Our house feels happier and sometimes I feel her little soul is here.

Even in her last moments, she cuddled up to us, our pups, and bopped my head with hers to let us know she loved us and was saying good bye. Rest easy little girl. She was my skrunkly little baby and I hope she knew her mom, dad, and fur siblings loved her very very much. You will always be our little baby.
Screenshot 2023-08-22 135853.png

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful Jiji. She was a wonderful black kitten. She was lucky because she found you who loved her so much, but she was unlucky because nature and genetics weren't on her side and her body couldn't thrive, despite all efforts.
Sometimes something happens in those little tiny bodies, something isn't as it should be, some failure, some organ that doesn't grow or work as it should, and the kitten just can't go on.

It happened to me as well, many years ago, with My Kitten Leo . He was born with defective kidneys and he left me too early. Till his last minute he showed me how much he loved me. Just like your Jiji did with you till the end, with his heart bursting with love for you.

RIP Jiji, you will never be forgotten, and your shiny eyes will light up the path to the Bridge.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh what a darling little kitty. And what a sweet story, I'm so glad she had a home and was loved for the too-short time she was here. I'm so very sorry you didn't get to have all the time and adventures you wanted to have with her. :hugs:

Rest in peace, sweet Jiji. :rbheart:

I'm John

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For some, life can seem short or long. But, we all live in the present moment, and that's all the time we have - it is our lifetime. You took good care of her during her lifetime and she was loved. :redheartpump: That is all that matters. May her sweet soul rest in peace. :redheartpump:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a little sweetheart. Sometimes, even with the best of care it is just not meant to be.......i am so happy she had the chance to know what a family was and had all the love she needed. You took a chance on her and I hope you can take comfort in knowing you gave her what she wanted most in this world, someone to love her. no money in the world can buy that. i salute you for giving her this.
My heart breaks for your pain, I know how much this hurts. it never gets easier either. we ahev lost so many over the years and i am forever quoting "Do not cry because it is over, smile because it happened.". It helps to know that each and every one has blessed us with so much. Our lives would be missing so much if they had not graced us with their presence for a while, no matter how short. know that precious little girl's love will forever be a part of your soul, whatever path she is now following will eternally parallel your own. i hope you can find peace as she has because you carry that love. Go forward now and seek life's beauty and love, just as you would have wanted for her if you were the first to go, she wants no less.
Please accept my condolences, in time your pain will turn into gratitude for having her in yoru life. But it all takes time, one day at a time.......RIP precious Jiji. You will always be remembered, you will forever have secure places in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentIe, Jiji, dream you deep. Your tiny pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

What Jiji knew of hearth, of home, of love, she knew because of you. Gentle hands, soft voices...you. And the two of you fought vaIientIy, side by side. Do not blame yourself that she could not live...she DID live, because of you. And now she will live forever, in your heart. Her love for you, translated and purified into Love, is with you still. You taught her love, and the Great Divine now has taught her Love, which she sends back to waIk with you down through aII of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, love abides

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bibi_Jiji

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been a harder day than usual. I spoke to my mother (a fellow cat lover), recounting Jiji's passing and why she was kept a secret for a month (a foster to adopt I wanted her adoption to be finalized before letting people know in case it did not work ahead) and it made me so sad once more to think of her. Not to mention, we realized our emergency vet overcharged us for our cremation by $160 more than was the cremation company quotes ($100+pickup). It stings so much to know they profited off of our heartbreak. The whole experience has been an ordeal.