Jaundiced & Anemic 9 MO Kitten

Erinhardin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! My sweet Sammy Joe was taken to an Animal ER today for jaundice and loss of appetite. This is something I noticed this morning and hasn’t been an ongoing thing. The vet ran tests, the results include: RBC - L 3.09, Hematocrit - L 14.2, Hemoglobin - L 5.3, MCHC - H 37.5, WBC - H 17.41, Neutrophils - H 10.96, Monocytes - H 1.84, ALT - H 313, Bilirubin H - 13.5

Sam was also negative for FLV, FIP, and any liver issues. The vet sent us home with Doxycycline and Prednisolone.

He hasn’t had much of an appetite but has licked some of a Churru treat and chicken flavored baby food. He has rapid breathing (which is expected) and is very fatigued and lethargic. I haven’t noticed him using the bathroom yet so I’m unsure of how his stool and urine looks.

Our vet recommended a blood transfusion but didn’t have any blood available at the time. We have also given him Lixotinic and NutriCal to attempt to increase his appetite.

I was just curious if anyone else has had a kitten go through this? Will he be okay? I can’t lose my baby.

KGM-in-Cali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry Sam is ill. I have had a lot of foster kittens (500+), and they can have very scary bloodwork when they have an infection or virus.
The ALT is actually a liver value; however, it can get high due to illness not related to the liver. It sounds like your vet is being proactive and treating for infection and inflammation. Hopefully, you will see some improvement quickly.
If you can't get him to eat much, at least try to get him to take fluids. I use low sodium chicken broth, warmed just to my body temp, and offer a new batch every 4 hours. If he is very lethargic, you can rub a small amount (pea size drop) of Karo (corn syrup) on the roof of his mouth and see if it perks him up (kittens with infections can develop hypoglycemia). I'll be keeping positive thoughts for a speedy recovery.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you know if they checked for microplasma? It used to be called hemobart and is a bacteria that attacks the red blood cells.

Sounds like they are treating for it.

Can you post the bloodwork?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erinhardin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The only thing (I think) they tested for is FLV and FIP. Sam was negative for both of those.

Today, he has been eating and drinking water and has been a lot more active! He’s still jaundiced but he has urinated and defecated. I’m so glad he’s feeling better! He goes to the vet this week to run more tests. Hoping everything is okay.

We’ve had a recent flea infestation. We live in the south and have inside/outside dogs. They’re the ones bringing the fleas in but they’ve been treated with Bravecto, now we’re in the process of getting rid of the fleas in the house. What a long process! The vet seems to think that may have something to do with it.

I’ve attached the bloodwork below

Attachments

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could be microplasma since it is from fleas. The treatment he is on is appropriate but he may need that transfusion.

I am not a vet.

Keep him as quiet as you can and no stress, no playing. He needs every bit of energy he has to make blood cells.

I would have a blood slide reviewed as recommended on the lab. Sheet. I would not recommend drawing any more blood.