Ivermectin improves kidney function

skylerlark

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just watched an interview wherein the host stated Ivermectin improves kidney function. Could it work for CKD cats? Dogs take it for heartworm. Interesting.

Another btw tip, I read on a cat blog that wiping down your CKD cat's scruffy coat with Aloe Vera baby wipes improves their coats. So I ordered some.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ivermectin is an antiparasitic drug that has long been used to treat heartworm in veterinary medicine for decades, hence why it is given for that purpose. I'm not sure what's interesting about that.

I wouldn't use it for any other purpose than as directed by a vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I read a while ago, when ivermectin was being looked at as a possible treatment for COVID, that rats in test studies were seen to develop what is called nephrotoxicity - which is toxicity in the kidneys. So, I am not thinking that there is much likelihood that it would improve kidney function. (There was some reduction in the toxicity when Vitamin C was given to these same rats.)

I also believe there have been some studies using ivermectin for certain types of cancers, include renal, so maybe in that sense it could technically 'improve' kidney function if it slows down or eradicates the cancer.

Re: aloe vera is only 'safer' for a cat to ingest if the yellowish sap or latex of the plant is removed, that is, the part that can have a laxative and toxic effect. Even then, it still can cause stomach upset, cramps, and pain if too much is ingested. So, I would say it probably isn't a good idea given how much cats groom themselves.

A daily brushing would probably accomplish making a cat's coat healthier looking, as the brush spreads a cat's natural oils throughout their hair. Omega-3 fats are not only good for a cat's skin/coat but are sometimes used as a supplement for CKD cats too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skylerlark

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ivermectin is an antiparasitic drug that has long been used to treat heartworm in veterinary medicine for decades, hence why it is given for that purpose. I'm not sure what's interesting about that.

I wouldn't use it for any other purpose than as directed by a vet.
It was quoted to be beneficial during this interview with Ed Dowd CV19 Vax is a Crime & Coverup – Ed Dowd | Greg Hunter’s USAWatchdog
I'd look up his credentials before parroting 'conspiracy theorist'.

And this is the vet site recommending the Aloe Vera baby wipes. Given one can drink it as well as wiping babies' bottoms, I see no harm in it. Frederick Cat Vet, Feline-Exclusive Veterinarian, Frederick, Maryland

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We gave our CKD kitty a feline kidney supplement from Standard Process and it helped her kidney function tremendously. She was in the beginning stages of CKD, not advanced, when we started.

I would probably use plain aloe vera (organic if you can find it) and organic cotton wipes and make my own baby wipes. I wouldn't want some of the preservatives that are in baby wipes on my kitty.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never used the words "conspiracy" or "theorist."

However, I'm not going to approach writing any kind of response to that article as I feel it would be off-topic.

I stand by what I said, which was to basically define what ivermectin is mainly used for in veterinary medicine, as well as that I would not use it for anything other than what a vet tells me to use it for.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It was quoted to be beneficial during this interview with Ed Dowd CV19 Vax is a Crime & Coverup – Ed Dowd | Greg Hunter’s USAWatchdog
I looked up his credentials. According to the article itself he's a Former Wall Street money manager Ed Dowd, is still a skillful number cruncher.
I don't think that makes him any kind of authority on medical matters.
I'm responding to this for clarity, not debate. :)

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ivomec has been used in cattle and large animals for a long time to control many things, but without getting political about it, your math has to be absolutely perfect when drawing out dosage. You cannot have any margin of error. This is confusing enough when dealing with large animals like horses or cows, but when dealing with a tiny cat, I would not even attempt it unless a vet I trusted with my life was there to dose it for me.

skylerlark

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I looked up his credentials. According to the article itself he's a Former Wall Street money manager Ed Dowd, is still a skillful number cruncher.
I don't think that makes him any kind of authority on medical matters.
I'm responding to this for clarity, not debate. :)
I was referring to a remark made by the interviewer, not the guest. As an aside, Ed Dowd's numbers are not for this forum.

Last edited:

skylerlark

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ivomec has been used in cattle and large animals for a long time to control many things, but without getting political about it, your math has to be absolutely perfect when drawing out dosage. You cannot have any margin of error. This is confusing enough when dealing with large animals like horses or cows, but when dealing with a tiny cat, I would not even attempt it unless a vet I trusted with my life was there to dose it for me.
It's used for dogs also so I'd go with Chihuahua.

skylerlark

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We gave our CKD kitty a feline kidney supplement from Standard Process and it helped her kidney function tremendously. She was in the beginning stages of CKD, not advanced, when we started.

I would probably use plain aloe vera (organic if you can find it) and organic cotton wipes and make my own baby wipes. I wouldn't want some of the preservatives that are in baby wipes on my kitty.
Thanks but we don't have 'Standard Process' in my neck of the woods.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMPORTANT to know that cats are NOT small dogs so it is imperative to recognize that cats are susceptible to toxicity not seen in dogs. For example, there are only 2 NSAIDS for cats (meloxicam, robenacoxib) but 6 for dogs (meloxicam, robenacoxib, carprofen,denacoxib,firocoxib,grapiprant). Cats are often gravely ill from bubonic plague while dogs remain asymptomatic; same with COVID, H3N2 and H1N1 flu.
Even among dogs, certain breeds are exceptionally susceptible to ivermectin toxicity (shelties, border collies).
That said, I would love, love, love to discover more effective, inexpensive treatments for CKD (and stomatitis and FIP). I saw that Feline Renal Support by Standard Process is available through Amazon (our nearest int'l airport is 200 miles away, the nearest WalMart 140+ so online ordering is a must even though I want to support local small business). A huge thank you to S skylerlark , stephanietx stephanietx , FeebysOwner FeebysOwner , cmshap cmshap , iPappy iPappy for the thoughful dialogue and considerations as we continue to provide input that helps our cats' well-being.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
IMPORTANT to know that cats are NOT small dogs so it is imperative to recognize that cats are susceptible to toxicity not seen in dogs. For example, there are only 2 NSAIDS for cats (meloxicam, robenacoxib) but 6 for dogs (meloxicam, robenacoxib, carprofen,denacoxib,firocoxib,grapiprant). Cats are often gravely ill from bubonic plague while dogs remain asymptomatic; same with COVID, H3N2 and H1N1 flu.
Even among dogs, certain breeds are exceptionally susceptible to ivermectin toxicity (shelties, border collies).
That said, I would love, love, love to discover more effective, inexpensive treatments for CKD (and stomatitis and FIP). I saw that Feline Renal Support by Standard Process is available through Amazon (our nearest int'l airport is 200 miles away, the nearest WalMart 140+ so online ordering is a must even though I want to support local small business). A huge thank you to S skylerlark , stephanietx stephanietx , FeebysOwner FeebysOwner , cmshap cmshap , iPappy iPappy for the thoughful dialogue and considerations as we continue to provide input that helps our cats' well-being.
Please be careful ordering standard process through Amazon. I have heard that they don't authorize this, and product purity is questionable.
Amazon.com: Customer Questions & Answers

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise