Ive Got An Exotic Shorthair With A Tummy Issue

PoopyNoodle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone <3. I have an 8 month old male exotic shorthair with a major tummy issue. He is sensitive to all dry cat food! His butt basically explodes if he eats wet food. My female persian loves egg yolk on rare occasion but if he eats it, its the same as if he was eating wet food and its smells SO BAD. It is the same with cream. I know ...I know cats arent supposed to have milk but my female loves cream on occasion also. She does very well with it but not him. I have changed dry food trying to find something that works. I've tried everything from grain free, sensitive stomach to highest protein etc and the list gets longer.... By himself he has started to eat my dogs food and that is the ONLY thing that keeps him not pooping himself. Seriously, its so bad that he will be laying on the floor and pooping without even knowing it. He's pooped on the couch, on the carpet. Its not a regular incontinence thing though. It is connected to the food he eats. He gets so sick it just comes out. When he is steady and on my dogs food he is fine. My dog is on pure balance salmon and pea. Ive even tried the pure balance cat food for him but nope.......it has to be the dog food... My female cat is a very delicate build and since she likes egg I had her on purina simply salmon and brown rice recipe which also contains egg. She loved it so much but she wont eat it unless its free feed. If I try and feed her and my exotic separate she just isnt interested and I cant have him eat that food. It has been such a struggle and now they are all eating just the dogs food! I know this isnt good but what else can I do? They do love her dog food. I am perplexed.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try another similar LID food for the cat? Here are some:

Blue Buffalo Basics
Merrick Limited Ingredients
Koha Limited Ingredient
Natural Balance LID
Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet | Instinct Pet Food

Merrick has an LID salmon dry food that is similar to the Pure Balance dog food: Merrick Limited Ingredient Diet - Real Salmon Recipe Grain Free Dry Cat Food for Cats and Kittens

Have you thought about maybe raw or home cooked food for your cat? Those diets are helpful for cats who have tummy issues with dry and canned food.

You may also want to add a probiotic and digestive enzyme to your cat's diet. Those can help the gut work better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PoopyNoodle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try another similar LID food for the cat? Here are some:

Blue Buffalo Basics
Merrick Limited Ingredients
Koha Limited Ingredient
Natural Balance LID
Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet | Instinct Pet Food

Merrick has an LID salmon dry food that is similar to the Pure Balance dog food: Merrick Limited Ingredient Diet - Real Salmon Recipe Grain Free Dry Cat Food for Cats and Kittens

Have you thought about maybe raw or home cooked food for your cat? Those diets are helpful for cats who have tummy issues with dry and canned food.

You may also want to add a probiotic and digestive enzyme to your cat's diet. Those can help the gut work better.

I will try the merricks! Before I got him , my others were on merricks and they all did great. It is unfortunate they got tired of eating it. Ill try it again. Also, he does do great on chicken or beef. This all started happening last winter when my cats were in their outdoor catio under the porch. Sometimes they like to stay the night out there and when I brought them in this started to happen. Do you think he could have got something from maybe a stray cat???! I rarely leave them out over night. I live in az near phoenix so winter nights are not too cold and they love it but I do wonder if maybe he caught something! No one else got sick though, just him.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Would you have a way to get him in to a vet for a health check, just to be sure?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PoopyNoodle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Would you have a way to get him in to a vet for a health check, just to be sure?
Yes, absolutely. I need to get my dog spayed so I will take him in then. It will be next monday or tuesday if there is availability. Hopefully they can do blood tests and fecal.