I've got a job shadow

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to share because I'm a little excited (and nervous). I set up a job shadow with my vet. Im thinking (seriously) about becoming a vet tech (I think about it every few years but since I've moved and am now near a program..) Monday the 16th bright and early. I know I'll just be in the way all day and I really admire everyone there so I feel totally inferior as soon as I walk in the door but other than that it's really exciting! When I get there I'll probably ask if I should follow one of the techs instead, since I wont want to be peering over his shoulder while he sees patients (I wouldnt want to make anyone uncomfortable, and besides, techs arent present when he sees patients..at least they werent whenever he saw me).

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats! I've been thinking about going back to school to be a vet asst as well but I never thought about getting experience before hand. Shadowing the vet techs is a great idea, and they will probably be thrilled to have an extra set of hands to help out. And, don't feel inferior, you just don't have the training they have but you probably have more extensive knowledge of some illnesses based on your two sick kitties. Let us know how it goes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've found some great sites about vet tech related stuff, just PM me if you're ever interested and I'll send ya some links
I don't expect I'll be able to help at all and will probably be just a speed bump for everyone but it's a big practice so Im sure they're used to hopeful students to be trailing after them fairly often. And since you mention it I probably could give a lecture on Hepatic Lipidosis