It's Very Windy, And

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find myself wondering - how do birds manage if they are flying and a 25mph or stronger wind gust comes along. Airplanes can have issues but they don't flap their wings.

Last edited:

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
Because birds aren’t real, they are government spy drones created to monitor us and repo….

Yeah birds are pretty amazing. I’ve seen the odd one struggle in the wind, but they are pretty smart and I notice they tend to take shelter and avoid flying in extreme wind conditions. I think it takes too much energy out of them to fly against big winds generally. Even when they fly in bad weather though, with their size it’s amazing what they can withstand and navigate through. If I recall correctly they are able to do it because they are continuously adjusting the angle of their body/head to best cut into the oncoming wind.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
My theory is they have internal weather pattern warnings and know when to scram. But not always…if you watch Attenborough’s The Life of Birds (I think it is) bar headed geese make several attempts and fail to cross over Nepal, and have to wait it out.