It's Time to Move the Bananas

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trees are turning color and dropping their leaves. We've been flirting with a frost. Probably have until the next full moon, if that's a clear night. But it is time to move the 'Zebrina' bananas indoors for the winter. It goes like this:
Bananas Move Indoors_2020-10_bananas i outdoor pot.jpg
This planter is concrete, too large and heavy to move, plus there are two bananas in it.
Bananas Move Indoors_2020-10_empty pot.jpg
I have to A) get the bananas out of the pot and B) separate them so C) one can go in this pot
Bananas Move Indoors_2020-10_Mr Poe checks out banana.jpg
The cats thought this was all very interesting. Here you see Mr Poe checking it out.
Bananas Move Indoors_2020-10_banana in pot.jpg
And voila! the re-potted banana (after I vacuumed up the spilled-on-the-floor dirt.)​

The second banana is upstairs in a slightly too small pot. There is another pot that's moved indoors which has to move upstairs but that will wait for our handyman. It is beyond my abilities, even with a hand truck. The next major horticultural operation will be cutting back and covering the Japanese fiber bananas that live outdoors year-round. Stay tuned for future developments as winter is coming.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester - Here's the other pot that had to come in from outside.
Pot - not so large. But you should have seen what it looked like before
I cut off 10 or so of the older leaves. Not that leaves add weight. Just bulk.
Bananas Move Indoors_2020-10_other pot with several bananas.jpg
I think you can understand why I cannot move it upstairs by myself.​

I'm not dividing / repotting these culms this fall. Limitations of space. As well as the two large culms there are about six little new ones. Next spring will be decision time - maybe offer them on Freecycle. If no one comes forward to adopt them I'll plant the offsets directly in the ground. And just leave them to freeze in the fall.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not so much a green thumb, Mia6 Mia6 as two rather dirty hands!

Our handyman was here today. And one of the things he did was just pick up the pot with the two bananas and their pups and simply carry it upstairs.
Bananas Move Indoors_2020-10_second banana upstairs.jpg

Looks good up there. At least that's what I think. And you can just see
the third pot of banana downstairs by the doors to the deck. It's a jungle!​