It's Over!

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
The most of the holiday season is over. Are you happy, sad, relieved, or indifferent? Bah, humbug?

In truth, I'm glad it's over. All the greed, aggressiveness, got to buy, I want this, have to cook, have to go, overspend, make it perfect, rush, rush, rush.

I'd be happy to crawl in hole and pull it in after me until it's over.

Personally, I pretty much avoid all of the above and aside from possibly a special but non-elaborate meal, I do. We do design and send out holiday cards. This year we got them out on December 23.

On to New Year's, a better one, I hope.

How do you feel?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
This year has not been quite a good year for me, and this Christmas, like past Christmases, I am again away from my family. So yes, I just want this to get over and done with. But I am happy watching the videos of my family enjoying their presents and each other. It is my motivation to work harder. It is what that matters most.

And I also hope and pray 2020 would be a much better year for us. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Where are you, that you're not in your home country? Is its possible to recreate your country's and family's traditions where you are? Is there a local community of people from your home country?

Remember, you always have loving TCS family all over the world.

Wouldn't it be fun if a bunch of the TCS members got together and made their own holiday traditions together and shared them? It would be like one happy blended family. I'm no good at organizing such, but I'll bet we could get it done.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Where are you, that you're not in your home country? Is its possible to recreate your country's and family's traditions where you are? Is there a local community of people from your home country?

Remember, you always have loving TCS family all over the world.

Wouldn't it be fun if a bunch of the TCS members got together and made their own holiday traditions together and shared them? It would be like one happy blended family. I'm no good at organizing such, but I'll bet we could get it done.
I am in the Middle East region. :) This has been my second home since 2005. Although only every Summer that my husband and I get to go home for 30 days. There is a Filipino Community here, but they have their own celebrations in their own apartments or wherever. :) And I am not much into parties. :)

Well I video-called my family last night while they were busy with the Noche Buena and gift unwrapping. It is so good that there are a lot of ways now to communicate with loved ones overseas. Back in 2005 there was not much. :)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
A very Merry, Mother and Father Dragon!

Maria Bayote Maria Bayote :hugs:

It's not quite over for us as this is Christmas morning. We got up, fed the kids, and Rick went back to bed (on the couch). We are staying very low-key today.

Around here, the holidays aren't over until the decorations are put away. That won't happen until the New Year.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dropped out of all of the excess a number of years ago. I put up a small tree. I buy something for each grandchild and get each of my grown children and their spouse a gift card for a restaurant they like. I will have dinner with the kids and grandkids later on today. I buy a few small things for friends and that is pretty much it for me. I am fine with that. Many people get caught up in all the buying. I think many are chasing that special Christmas that society has told them that they are supposed to have.

I know it is tough being completely away from extended family during the holidays. I was stationed in Germany for five years. They do celebrate Christmas all over Europe, I think that would be easier then being in an area that doesn't celebrate Christmas. I still have memories of the outdoor Christkindlmarkets in Germany, I think every town had them.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well it's half over for us.
We had our Christmas celebration yesterday with my Dad's side of the family, including my MIL. It went surprisingly well. Stupid family drama...:rolleyes3::mad:. Those in question (extended family members) behaved themselves and I was able to avoid them, and still had a good time with the rest of my family.
Today, we have no plans and are just chilling for the day, but tomorrow we go my my Mom's, including my FIL. It's a much smaller gathering, so that will be nice....Although with two people that are almost deaf and my husband and Step-dad having big booming voices, it can still get pretty loud LOL!
Overall I enjoy the holidays, I've stopped the excessive buying and over spending...well actually I never really fell into that trap in the first place, we don't have a lot of disposable moolah, but that just means we try really hard to make things special. The lead up can be very stressful with everything else and all the prep, which I put on myself. My immediate family are pretty good and are grateful people in general, but as such, it's like the more grateful people are, the more you want to please them...IDK, that's just how I work. At least most of my stress with Christmas prep comes from a good place right? There are a couple of people who can make things....tedious (Step mom and MIL) but oh well, we all have a few of those right?
It can also be very stressful as we usually have multiple places to go, but this year we only have 2 as we combined my husband's side with my side, so that's nice as well.
I am looking forward to the new year though. This one stunk!!!! I hope 2020 will be a better one.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am always happy when it is over. It is usually the last “have to” of the winter and I am glad that it has passed. Today will be getting my mother successfully to my sisters and back home again with all her gifts but then I can relax.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm always glad when it's over. It's never a big deal here but I'm over it before it even starts. I am looking forward to sharing a nice rib eye steak with the cats later. They will be thrilled when they get their share. They adore steak.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
:evergreen::deer::santa: It's been very low key. I've been doing less and less for Christmas for several years. It was bringing me down and I got so tired of the hype and the expectations. Once my daughter was grown it became OK also to ease up! She's not a big Christmas fan so it's great now.
I have a skinny, small artificial tree (lights only due to the cats ;)) and only do gifts for a few family members. My parents are gone. My daughter and I will celebrate on the 29th because of her work.
We'll do a broth fondue dinner (so easy) with shrimp, beef, chicken, and scallops with sauces and a couple of side dishes and dessert. For gifts she and I are making no-sew fleece pads for our kitties. She easily gave up gifts this year. Then hang out- watch a movie, take a nap, watch The Mandalorian, or football or something.
I only occasionally go to church and the late candle light service always makes me cry. It's beautiful. Love the Christmas songs.
It's very enjoyable for us this way!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing left but the cleaning up. The big question is do I get out of the recliner and clean the kitchen now or do I wait until morning. I cannot stand seeing a dirty kitchen in the morning but it seems like such a big job when you are tired.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am dealing with a stubborn bout of depression right now, so Christmas time was not pleasant this year, I felt very isolated and lonely. I am glad it is over, and frankly, will be really glad when 2019 goes out the door.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sort of relieved the crazy part is over; but a little sad too. I enjoy this time between Christmas and New Years. I finally get some down time before we get back to school again. DH works so much during the holidays and even though the kids and I get to modify school for December; it's just a crazy time. I want to enjoy this down time. Sometimes getting back into a routine in January feels good too though.