It's been an interesting afternoon

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I figured that now was as good a time as any, so I've been going through my parents' pictures and papers and such. (Spent a lot of time in tears, too)  Mom and Dad's wedding pictures, pictures of me as a baby with my bunny (A white stuffed bunny that my Grandma gave to me when I was born....I kept that bunny until Hurricane Agnes wiped her out in 1972), pictures of my sister and brother, my aunts, uncles, and cousins, my grandmother. My parents looked so young and they had their whole future ahead of them. Gosh, my mother was pretty and my dad was quite handsome. I kept a lot of pictures for myself, but I have a box full for both my sister and my brother, too. Kept some for all the grandkids to go through, too. And some of the pictures of cousins and such, I'm going to give them to my cousins on Monday. For the pictures of people I knew, I wrote down their names and relationship to me: cousin, second cousin, aunt, uncle, etc. That way, there's some kind of history there and future people will know who's who.

My mother always made us a jeweled calendar...all the kids, some of the cousins, etc. We've been getting them for years now. And she did finish her calendars for 2013 back during this past summer. We have them and last night, my sister and I cut them out and attached the dowel rods and such so that we can give them to people. That's my task for Monday....take the calendars to my cousins and to some of my mother's friends who we know would receive them. Those will be the last calendars we'll ever have from Mom. And while I'm doing that, I'll give my cousins some of the pictures that I've found and saved. I'm sure Monday will be an interesting day, too.

I also have my mother's old high school yearbooks as well as the stuff from when Dad was in the Marines. Lots of pictures of him when he was at Parris Island in South Carolina. And then while we were at Camp LeJeune in North Carolina.  I sat down and went through all that stuff, too. I found that my dad had perfect school attendance for years! He had to quit school in the eighth grade to work to help support his family, but until then he never missed a day of school.

But it was an emotional experience today. I found a picture of me as a baby in my dad's arms and I completely broke down. He looked so proud and happy. And I found a picture of him at a birthday party for one of my aunts from about 10 years ago and he has the biggest smile on his face. I put it in a frame and it's sitting back here on my desk. I miss my dad so much sometimes. Mom, too, of course, but man, I miss my dad.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I understand. Life is never the same when we lost our parents. Even though it is tough to go through their things I think there is healing in it too. I am sure that your family will appreciate how you are sharing the memories with the pictures and calendars. Memories can be so sweet and painful at the same time.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's a wonderful thing to split things up for others to go through.I have known some that are so greedy...in my own family as well.Bless you,and I hope they appreciate what you're doing.It's kinda bittersweet,I think.I remember after my grandmother died,there were things to go through.I was just a teenager,and I can remember seeing that tablecloth or those glasses or that coffee cup,and it taking me back to when she'd used it.Wish I had some of those things now...have no clue where they are.I have the memories though,as will you.Hugs to you,girl!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Awww, Pam!

The calendar thing brought tears to my eyes. 

Do you have a pic of your Dad in his dress blues? Bet he was a looker in those!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I told my brother and sister that I have a box of stuff for each of them to go through....when there were doubles of pictures, I kept one and gave one to my sister. When I had more, I saved one for my brother, too. 

My mother did those jeweled calendars for years.....she said it kept her fingers agile and it gave her something to do. Both my parents were really into crafting and there was nothing Dad couldn't make, if he thought about it. 

And yes, I found pictures of Dad in his uniform! A very handsome young man. There were pictures of the trailer we stayed in while we were on the Marine base, too. They made me cry. Mom and Dad's wedding pictures. All that stuff. Pictures of him working on the house. There were pictures of him on the riding tractor with the three grandkids (our son and my sister's two kids) in a small trailer riding along behind him. Everybody's got big smiles.

What was interesting, too, is that when I was very young, we rented this one house in town. Well, Rick and I found out that his family had rented the very same house for awhile. In fact, when Rick's family moved out of that house, we moved in! I found a picture of me in the front yard of the house. Rick said he's going to ask his mom if she has any pictures of him in the same area....if so, we're going to frame them together. (This isn't something we just found out recently; we've known it for a long time. But now that I have some pictures, he wants to see if his mom has some, too.)

Thanks for understanding. It was really emotional.

I remember after my grandmother died, Lizzie, we did the same thing. We all met at her house and we chose those things that we wanted. There was no hassle and if there was something that a couple of us wanted, somebody gave in. Didn't make a lot of sense to fight over stuff. (There were a few things that Grandma wanted me to have, though, and she gave them to me a few years before she passed away, so that she knew I would have them. I know that didn't "go over well" with some of my cousins, but I treasure those things to this day.)

Last edited: