It's Been 10 Months Trying To Introduce Our New Kitty And Resident Kitty....

phoebeandzoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We brought in a little black stray we named Zoe back in February of this year. She has become such a member of our home and lives. Zoe has a sanctuary room and our resident kitty, Phoebe, has one also. We have followed advice from this site as well as from the Cat vs Cat book on the steps to take to introduce them. Both of their smells are everywhere. They sit in the same places on the furniture, etc! So after all this time we are certain they are aware of each other in the house. Zoe is the aggressive one. Phoebe has started "standing" up to her through a glass slider and/or screen door. We alternate who is on each side of the doors so one in on the inside looking out at the other and vice versa. They are doing much better now and only howl when they first see each other (Zoe does the cat calls usually) We think we have made progress with them trying to be around each other. We are really getting close to actually let them share space but are still reluctant as we think Zoe will run at Phoebe and they will fight.
Zoe has really bonded with me and she really loves me. Phoebe loves but in her own way! She is a cat that doesn't mind being by herself. She will be 9 in February. Does any one have a suggestion on what to do in the next step with them please? Should we each hold one of them in a room together so they see each other? Or?
Thank you!

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Food is key here. Try and feed the cats in the same room, nothing but space between them.

If they won't eat, make the food smelly, you can do this by heating wet food up... not too hot though lol

Get the bowls closer over time, this builds trust as your cats will get comfortable with each other. Cats tend not to eat if they are scared

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Ten months is a long introduction. If they were mine I would start letting them be together and get whatever hissy fits they are going to have out of their system. If they go into a full c contact biting screaming fight I would separate again but otherwise let them sort it out.

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ten months is a long introduction. If they were mine I would start letting them be together and get whatever hissy fits they are going to have out of their system. If they go into a full c contact biting screaming fight I would separate again but otherwise let them sort it out.
I would not recommend doing this. Cats have their own timetables for acceptance, whether it be days, months or even years. Rushing the process is not in their best interests, and is likely to make things worse. We've been working on one particular introduction for 3-4 years, and it is only now that they are able to be in the same room without fighting.