It's a long shot, but I have to ask

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Back in late March, Feeby went in for her 3rd follow up to check her thyroid level after having been on hyperthyroid meds since mid-October. They also ran a urinalysis (but no urine culture) and found bacteria. She has had a few bouts over more recent years with e-coli in her urine, so the vet put her on the standard antibiotic she has been given in the past. She was back at the vets for another follow up in early-mid May. The urinalysis (again, no culture) still showed bacteria, but at a much lower level. I discussed this with the vet and he wanted me to bring her back in for a urine culture - and I did on 5/24.

Long story, not so short - the vet was unexpectedly called out of the office and I followed up with another vet in his practice on 5/27, who told me that the culture results were not yet available. This led to waiting it out until after Memorial Day, and I called on 6/1 to ask about the results. Finally, I was advised yesterday by a tech - no conversation with either vet - that the results were back and indicated a non-pathogenic lactobacillus species, and said no treatment was necessary. I also received a copy of the test results, which totally confused me. See attached file. It would seem according to the results, that the culture is not yet complete, but that is not what the vet tech said.

I've researched this bacteria online and have also read conflicting information - some saying it is a serious infection and others saying it is naturally found in the digestive and urogenital tracts, and is normally considered a 'good bacteria'. I also read that when this bacteria shows up in urine, many times it is considered to be a contaminated sample. But, this vet practice draws urine directly from the bladder, so how could it be contaminated?

I have asked for clarification, but have not yet heard from the vet. I guess my question to you all - has anyone else's cat been diagnosed with this particular species of bacteria without any follow up treatment? And, can you make better sense of the test results than I am able to do?

Thanks for any insight you might have!

Attachments

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't speak to the significance of the findings. You'll have to speak to your vet about that. Reading the invoice and phone message, it sounds like two tests were ordered. The results from the first did not warrant proceeding with the second test. The FirstTract test was not performed and there are no more pending reports. "Report received is final."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks. I guess my one concern - and, yes only the vet can answer that - is if the follow up testing was not completed because the lab believes the urine to be contaminated and therefore there is no reason to continue. I would like to get to the bottom of that aspect, because the urine was drawn directly from the bladder and therefore theoretically should not have been contaminated. If not that, then what was the reason for discontinuing the remainder of the testing.

The other part of my question to the members on this site - is to see if this particular bacteria has been diagnosed in other cats and what, if any actions, were taken.

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have not encountered that particular strain so unfortunately don't have any helpful response. However, I would ask the vet about the possible contamination of the sample and, in this case, mention what you saw online about some troublesome reports. Put the burden of explaining whether or not this is serious on him rather than your own determination.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have not encountered that particular strain so unfortunately don't have any helpful response. However, I would ask the vet about the possible contamination of the sample and, in this case, mention what you saw online about some troublesome reports. Put the burden of explaining whether or not this is serious on him rather than your own determination.
Thanks. The sample was taken directly from the bladder and placed in a test tube specifically for Antech testing, so I am guessing contamination was ruled out, perhaps. But, yes, the burden is on my vet who has inexplicably become terribly unavailable as of late.

I knew it was a long shot to ask on this site, but was hoping someone would have had some level of exposure to this bacteria in their cats' urine testing.