Itchy Little Bumps

catguy81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mostly clustered at the low back by base of tail. He doesn't seem to scratch at it much though. But it's obviously either from fleas or food.

He is current with his Frontline...so I'm thinking it is the Friskies Beef and Salmon Fillets wet food that I recently started giving him regularly. In fact, I think I'm going to start buying higher quality food for both my little scouts.

I'll stop feeding him that and see if these bumps clear up. Should I treat them with hydrocortisone?

Thank you.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If you haven't seen any fleas on him the easiest way to check is to comb him all over with a fine comb, then shake whatever comes out in the comb over a damp tissue. If any of the little specks of dirt turn red on the tissue it means he's being bitten by fleas. Flea dirt is dried cat blood that goes red again when wet.

I wouldn't recommend hydrocortisone unless it's something that your vet has specifically given him for this. It's too easy to overdose with the tablets and the topical creams and lotions can be dangerous if the cat licks them.

So check for fleas first, then ask your vet what they think you should do.