Itchy from nips

calvin&i

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It has been a week that Hobbes has been with us. He did not come a well socialized cat but everyone's trying their best. Now Hobbes nips quite a bit and I have got from great tips at the behavior message board. But this problem is with me. Where Hobbes bites me, it itches a bit afterwards and gets a little red. Does not happen when Calvin bites but he surely does not bite as much. However in a couple of hours it goes away. I was wondering of anyone had similar experience and guess what this could be. My best guess is allergies but I hope not.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are allergic to cats. The samething happens to me when I get bit, or scratched. I just quickly run cold water on it, and wash it with soap. I also put Hydrocortisone (sp?) on it. It always goes away without a problem.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm majorly allergic to cats, and that is a mild reaction.
Some cats have more allergans in their saliva than others.
Ming Loy just has to look at me and I break out (LOL, ok, a bit of an exaggeration there) - but I'm not at all allergic to Billy. Just make sure to wash your hands as soon as you're done petting Hobbes. Keep some hand wipes around too - then you don't always have to run to the sink.

I need a stronger steroid than one that is sold OTC, though that should do the trick. If it doesn't, talk to your doc about a scrip for Ultravete. Same thing as the OTC stuff, just a little stronger.
(Hydrocortisone is sold as the anti-itch stuff - just ask the pharmacist).

If other symptoms pop up, I'm happy to share the entire litany of things I do to manage it. Though it may not hurt to get some Visine to have around, in case you rub your eye without having washed your hands.