Itchy cat/over grooming

kittyfostermama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our daughter has a 1.5yr old American Curl mix cat with her away at school (we fostered the litter for 2 months). While the cat is here at home during her visits she does not itch or over groom (we have two cats here at our home). When our daughter had a roommate with a cat, her cat did not have the itchy problems. Only since our daughter has been living on her own this final year of college has the cat been excessively grooming and scratching, mainly around the neck area. We took her to a vet and vet did find an ear infection which we have since treated with Tresaderm (this was mid-December). We have also switched her diet to a limited ingredient diet hoping to rule out food allergies (started about a month ago). A second vet visit prescribed prednisone on a tapered regime and while the cat was on that, she was not as itchy. But as soon as she was off the pred, she started itching/scratching again.

We are beginning to wonder if maybe her cat is just bored and/or would like to have a companion? Our daughter is a homebody so is home quite a bit and spends a lot of time with the cat, also providing a lot of interactive toys, cat trees, etc. Even takes her out for walks on a leash/harness. We are trying to rule out any other potential medical issues and I was hoping I might get some opinions here. She is coming home again later this week and we have an appt with a vet to discuss yet again the itchiness and to recheck the ears. Any thoughts?

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Only since our daughter has been living on her own this final year of college has the cat been excessively grooming and scratching
I'm assuming your daughter is living in a different place than when she had a roommate?

I would wonder about fleas, territorial problems from urine spots left from prior tenants and their pets, or that there is something else in the living quarters that is causing the issue. Think of something like a carpet that was cleaned but not rinsed well enough and there's residue left behind etc.

I don't think that getting a second cat at this point in time is an answer. This is already February so there's not much of the school year left. I personally would suggest that the cat stays with you for the next few weeks, stop the pred, and then when your daughter makes her determination of where she's going to go next, see how things are then.

Oh by the way, store bought chamomile tea can help ease the itch until she heals up at your home. It is anti fungal, anti bacterial, eases discomfort and is safe if she ingests it (garden grown chamomile tea is unsafe). Brew some, cool it and dab it on the itchy areas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyfostermama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually, the place she is in now is the nicest she's ever been in. All hardwood floors, new furniture and no pets have been there before. The only thing that I can think of that is different would be the water as this place has a water softener. Pred has been stopped for the past two weeks. And yes, she will be moving back home by mid-June so if I can convince her to leave that cat here then this might all fix itself. Thank you for the tip on the chamomile tea. I will send that info to her now.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she feeds the same food at all the places where the cat has been (allowing for the recent food change) and STILL the cat only seems to experience the itching at her newest home, them one could rationalize that it's something in that home that is causing the issue. Even upholstery can be the cause, since you mentioned it's new furniture. Or could be the laundry detergent she uses, if it's different from what you use. Are perhaps she burns scented candles, or incense, or has scented plug-ins, or uses different floor cleaners :dunno:? If she keeps the cat with her, someone needs to do some detective work to try to determine what is so different there than in other places.