It had to happen.....

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I had to say that Clarence has never let me sit....I just had to say it, didn't I?

Clarence, my 2001 PT Cruiser, let me sit Saturday morning. Rick had taken the Tucson to bowl, which left me with either the Cruiser or the truck to drive. Well, Clarence and I ran some errands in the morning. We were on our way home. I'm driving out the road to the house, the CD's blaring, and I'm singing and life is good. And the battery light came on, I heard the DING, and he immediately started to slow down. Crap. "C'mon, buddy, get me to the driveway. Just get me to the driveway." And at the driveway, he stopped. He's off the road and he survived the night down there. I tried to start him this morning and nothing. Rick will be able to get up the driveway around him, so that's good. 

I tried to call the guy who works on Clarence all day yesterday, but no luck. I'll call him tomorrow morning. He has a jerr-dan (I think that's the word I want), so he'll be able to come down and take Clarence out to his garage. I'm thinking the alternator went out because the battery's not even a year old and he still has the original alternator. He started a little rough yesterday, but I really needed to run those errands, and he seemed OK, and we left. 

Bless his alternator; he managed to get me back home before he died. I'll have to see how much it's going to cost me for a new alternator. I have a feeling he's not getting a new paint job now because it's going to cost me a small fortune for the alternator. Crap.

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Hopefully it won't be too expensive. I would think you can get an aftermarket alternator but personally I don't really like aftermarket brands. I am a name brand gal until all the parts are overseas now. I think it's all the same now. Hoping it doesn't cost too much. It's been years since I bought an alternator and last I remembered they ran around $125ish but that was in the 1990s.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Well, here's the thing. I opened the hood today. And found broken acorns on top of the engine. I tried to start the car and it wants to start. It's grinding; I would think that, if it was the alternator, it wouldn't even be doing that. Acorns.  
 So now I'm wondering if there might be a fuel line problem....meaning critters got up inside (again!) and chewed a hole somewhere. Gas tank is still full, but if the hole is high enough, well, it would still register full. I really don't think it's the alternator. Could be a fuel pump. But I'm leaning toward critters doing something stupid somewhere. Wouldn't be the first time.

@2Cats4everLoved  love the graphics! 

Last edited:

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, here's the thing. I opened the hood today. And found broken acorns on top of the engine. I tried to start the car and it wants to start. It's grinding; I would think that, if it was the alternator, it wouldn't even be doing that. Acorns.  
 So now I'm wondering if there might be a fuel line problem....meaning critters got up inside (again!) and chewed a hole somewhere. Gas tank is still full, but if the hole is high enough, well, it would still register full. I really don't think it's the alternator. Could be a fuel pump. But I'm leaning toward critters doing something stupid somewhere. Wouldn't be the first time.

@2Cats4everLoved  love the graphics! 
I actually totally understand what you're going through.  I went from a new car, to years later taking over a car my dad had Taurus 1993 that would stall anytime we hit a bump, stopped or turned a corner, needless to say, it was totally dangerous for highway driving.  I would have to change a tiny fuse every time, finally a nice mechanic fixed the electrical issue we were having.  I'm still finding those fuses in old jean pockets, coats etc. LOL

I hope you're able to get your car fixed at a reasonable rate.

Best of luck.  Be safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thanks. The guy who works on him is coming down this morning to haul him to the garage; I just dropped the key off.  He told me not to worry, that since Clarence only has 150,000 miles on him, he's still good for a long while yet.

A friend of mine had a car that, when he stepped on the gas pedal, the lights would momentarily flare. He was so intrigued with that and one night, we had a meeting in Harrisburg (about 60 miles away). The entire way home, he would step on the gas, just to see the headlights flare. It made me crazy and I finally told him to either stop it or pull over and let me drive. At that point, it was beyond annoying.