Issue With Keeping A Feral Warm

JymSaban

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Need some good advice, so I have 2 strays there sisters, who have gotten trapped and fixed. They trust me and I actually feed them 3xs daily and have built 2 shelters for them to sleep in. Problem is I dont feel they are warm enough, I have no garage space or anything and just want them to stay warm when super cold, is there a safe heating pad option? problem I have is to get into my yard through my back door there is a flight of steps which prevents me from using an electric heating pad that will be safe without extension cord.

These 2 girls have been with me for a year and I just want them to be even more comfortable, unfortunately taking them in isnt an option right now. Just want more options in keeping them safe and warm because its getting super cold. Our yard has racoons who wonder occassionally but there shelters have 2 exits so they can run if danger. Is there a better heating option I can provide for them?

Thanks again!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are non-electric heating pads that reflect body warmth back to whatever is on them: self warming pad. I have a pad made with this and it really does warm up (my niece has stolen it to put under her when she stays the night). If the shelters aren't insulated adding some insulation will help keep them warmed. I totally agree with having two openings so they can't get trapped by maybe put a piece of fabric to block the wind over one of the openings would help too.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Try filling the bottom of one with a lot of good hay, mash it down a little and they will do the rest. Just try one shelter in case they don't react well to the hay. Kiera is right. Insulation and out of any wind is the key. I have draped a heavy blanket over the front and back of those kind of shelters just so it hangs down about half way over the opening. Use the hay shelter as your test. If they use it then do the other. With those factors addressed cats or dog can stay comfortable in really low temps... also high calorie food. I'm sure your babies appreciate anything you do.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are also microwave discs you can heat up and add to the shelter each night.
work really well with straw. Also don't use hay, you only want straw. Hay retains moisture and can grow moldy. Hay is a better alternative. Some cats really like straw while others find it scratchy and irritating.