Isolating my cat after surgery; very limited space.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meow&Woof Cat Playpen for Small Animals Wood Frame Cats Cage Indoor Kitten Crate Dog Play Pens for Puppy Large Size Sturdy Struction Long Lasting Use https://a.co/d/hz2UjPI

I have an issue. The only way i can keep my two cats is to keep them in my bedroom. I can't afford my own place. So i need to figure out how to confine one cat after her surgery. She has a bump on the back of her neck that will be removed. I don't know how long she'll need to avoid jumping so i can't leave her loose in my room. I bought the crate above. But it seems small tead online she might need to avoid jumping for a week. Should i look for a bigger enclosure? I'll be home for a week and can let her out sometimes. But I'm scared she'll run from me and jump.

Edit: another option i saw.

PawGiant Dog Kennel Outdoor Dog House with Roof Waterproof Cover for Medium to Small Dog Outside 4ft x 4.2ft x 4.45ft, Dog Kennel Pet Crate Cage Playpen Dog Run Indoor https://a.co/d/fDjGEnr

edit 2: Sorry, my phone wouldnt let me post without a bunch of space added. I had to grab my computer to fix the glitch.

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would be tempted to stick with the smaller enclosure. The bigger one is nice but looks like she could run and jump a lot more than the smaller one.
Talk to your vet about your confinement plans, and what time line they're thinking for her recovery. I've done some TNR'ing on ferals and they were kept in a single room for a week or so. I'm sure they did some jumping and running but I literally never had a problem with anyone's incisions coming loose. Just check it often.
Also, discuss pain control with the vet. You don't want her in pain obviously, but high powered pain medicine could potentially make her feel like nothing happened and make confinement and crate rest worse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be tempted to stick with the smaller enclosure. The bigger one is nice but looks like she could run and jump a lot more than the smaller one.

Talk to your vet about your confinement plans, and what time line they're thinking for her recovery. I've done some TNR'ing on ferals and they were kept in a single room for a week or so. I'm sure they did some jumping and running but I literally never had a problem with anyone's incisions coming loose. Just check it often.

Also, discuss pain control with the vet. You don't want her in pain obviously, but high powered pain medicine could potentially make her feel like nothing happened and make confinement and crate rest worse.

The problem is that my room purposely has lots of jumping spots to keep them active. 2 trees, my chair, they each have a bench that they jump on to eat. Plus my cats sometimes wrestle when they play.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok i spoke to my vets office:

This crate works well. You will mainly need to be cautious with her the first two days as she will be groggy from the procedure. After that, you will need to focus on preventing her form picking at the incision.

-

I'm guessing she isn't restricted from jumping? Because i did put that in my email.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just in case you've never had to deal with this... Another thing to watch for is that the cat who stays home may not recognize the recovering cat's scent. That can cause hissing. We've had to deal with this a couple times because one of our cats considers herself an alpha but I hope it's not a problem for you! Sometimes hissing and aggression can be avoided by rubbing both cats with the same towel so they "swap" smells. Apparently lots of cats can get over this really quickly by just a couple quick rubs but it takes ours much longer.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have one of those playpens and it has been a godsend. I have the extra large one and it was almost $100, but they seem to have gone down a lot in price. The large one is big enough to fit in tray for the kitty litter and a cat bed so they aren’t on top of one another.

Cat playpen

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think jumping is concern more for underside stitches.
I hope so. i will ask again the day of. just in case.

Just in case you've never had to deal with this... Another thing to watch for is that the cat who stays home may not recognize the recovering cat's scent. That can cause hissing. We've had to deal with this a couple times because one of our cats considers herself an alpha but I hope it's not a problem for you! Sometimes hissing and aggression can be avoided by rubbing both cats with the same towel so they "swap" smells. Apparently lots of cats can get over this really quickly by just a couple quick rubs but it takes ours much longer.
Elsa had dental surgery a few years back and Kitty didnt treat her differently. But since Elsa will be in the playpen for a couple of days her smell should go back to normal.

I have one of those playpens and it has been a godsend. I have the extra large one and it was almost $100, but they seem to have gone down a lot in price. The large one is big enough to fit in tray for the kitty litter and a cat bed so they aren’t on top of one another.

Cat playpen
wow, mine was double that price. great find!

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
[

wow, mine was double that price. great find!
[/QUOTE]
Sorry. I mean extra large.