Is what I did totally immoral?

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
That cat may well have died very soon if he was left in your cousins hands. I cannot believe that a lie can be easily accepted by animal welfare, it makes me so angry!

I hope Tigger turns into a happy, healthy kitty (you should send some before/after pics if you can)

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not taking care of the cat -even the simple basic needs like food and water and a clean litterbox- is immoral,
you are not. You are very caring.
The cat was left to search in a dumpster for adequate food, outside cats have all sorts of things happen to them and sometimes don't get to come back home. In this case, this cat had the best thing happen to him ever!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You did the right thing... and if she asks if you have her cat, you can truthfully answer that you do not have her cat. But she probably won't ask.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

What you did was probably illegal, but not immoral (IMO).

There are some who think that I'm in the wrong for "stealing" Salem & her kittens from neighbors who weren't taking care of her properly. When I took her in, she was nothing but skin & bones, had pus running out of her eyes, and was beginning to lose her fur from lack of nutrition. It makes me sick to think that anyone can mistreat an animal in such a way.

Maybe it wasn't right for me to take her in like I did, but I don't regret it for one second. I tried "reasoning" with the neighbors, but it went in one ear and out the other. Salem's healthy, happy, and thriving - and so are her babies (see my siggy). I doubt very much that she would have survived much longer if I hadn't intervened, and I also doubt that her babies would have survived, either - especially Jinxy & Cassidy, who were born with birth defects. I don't think they would have made it on the outside.

People like that don't deserve pets. The neighbors never seemed to have noticed that Salem went missing, and I doubt that your cousin will, either.

In my book, you saved a life, and I salute you!

My heart goes out to Ivy.
I sure hope that someone intervenes to save her life, too.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just make sure - even if kept as a barn cat - Tigger is fixed if not already. (That's my schpiel to anyone with barn cats - too common for them not to be fixed.
)

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You did the right thing. I am in a similar situation with a "friend" who claims to have moved here from Tampa ... (It is more that she left like a thief in the middle of the night) ... to "take care of a sick friend", meaning me, but yet, now she's been evicted from her home here, cannot get and/or keep a job and her four cats are now living in my upstairs bathroom. They came to me with fleas, tapeworms, no food and a small bag of clay litter half full. Two of them were so skinny and miserable that I thought I was going to lose them. One of them had so many open wounds from scratching the fleas, I was afraid I would have to take her to the vet. They've been here nearly 5 weeks and she has visited them ONCE - didn't bring food or litter and the smallest, skinniest of them hissed at her for trying to pet her.

After the first of the year, they are going home to Connecticut to their breeder where they will be rehomed with people who will love and take care of them the way they deserve to be cared for.

Am I doing wrong? Nope. And neither are you.

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There is absolutely nothing wrong with your decision. I would have done the same thing. I've had friends addicted to meth and I know from personal experience that there is no reasoning with them when they get to a certain point. But I feel it is our responsibility as human beings to look out for other living, breathing things. It's too bad there isn't much you can do for her child tho. That things will get better.

megra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think you even need to question your decision to take the cat. Cat's don't really belong to anyone (mine certainly doesn't - she left someone else for me and is free to do the same to me if she chooses, even if I hope she doesn't). Had you taken the cat by breaking and entering, then you'd have had a legal issue.

As to the human situation, you are in a very tricky position. You can't interfere but you are absolutely right to keep a watching brief and for the child to know that you are there for her. It is desperately sad that any child has to live in such an environment and I hope Ivy isn't too damaged by the experience. Unlike others here, I feel deeply sorry for your cousin too. I can't imagine how anyone can let themselves descend into a morass so deep and be so unaware of the damage they are doing themselves and those for whom they have responsibility. Unfortunately, most times, those in positions like that cannot be helped. They have to really want to get out of the situation with all their beings and be incredibly brave to make it. Oft times they also push away the very interventions that may help them.

I hope everyone involved finds a way through.