Is this the end, desperate for anything else I can try?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SilentDream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above, it appears kitty is in a state of anemia. My girl Sadie has an autoimmune disorder where her white blood cells attack her red blood cells. Completely idiopathic, but after 4 years of regular blood work you pick up a lot of knowledge from the vets office lol.
The other thing I think of when I see those results is distemper. As Feebys Owner states, distemper is a viral infection and can really make kitty sick. 15 years ago we had an orange tabby who hated the vets office and they refused to vaccinate him because he was so wild. A year later, he ended up getting distemper... And he was an indoor only cat! We still have no idea to this day how he got it. But he had low WBC and RBC from fighting the virus, and was sick for a long while. A few months of medicine and fluids helped nurse him back to health.
The one thing that I see though, her reticulocyte is good. That means it's a regenerative form (versus non regenerative which is always scary as it could be possible C word.) Sadie was on steroids for a while to help bring her RBC and WBC numbers back up. Maybe you can talk to your vet to see if they think that would be something that can help? I think 9 is still young for a cat, I give you credit for not giving up on her. ❤
Thank you. I will write this down to ask the vet when she goes in on Tues and then also when mom does get her to a new vet for a second opinion. I'm happy you were able to get your kitty back to health. I sure hope and pray Weasy gets better too.

SilentDream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please call the bigger place and let them know she was given Rimadyl. This is serious. I hope you can get some help from the new vet.
Wow. I don't even know what to say right now. Thank you so much for letting me know. She had this injection a week ago, so I hope it doesn't add to her problems she already had.

SilentDream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wanted to give a quick update on Weasy. I’m getting ready to go over to mom’s to give her the second-to-last antibiotic injection. Praying that she is doing better again today.
So yesterday she ate more than she has for the last couple of weeks. It seems like she feels a bit better, though she does still appear to be a very sick little girl. But she did eat on her own, and during the 5 hours I was there, she went to get a drink 6 times. She stayed out in the living room almost the entire time, even batting at her toy once. Mostly she slept on the couch. her nose definitely looks more pink and her respiration was 42 (down from 56 a couple days ago). I called and asked mom how she was doing last night, and she ate again on her own. I don’t know if she kept it down, but find out today. It’s easy to see she’s still not out of the woods, but this all has given us hope that she’s on the mend. Her bloodwork is only 2 days away, so that should tell a lot.
You all have given me a lot to ask the vet and I appreciate it. Thanks you.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wanted to give a quick update on Weasy. I’m getting ready to go over to mom’s to give her the second-to-last antibiotic injection. Praying that she is doing better again today.
So yesterday she ate more than she has for the last couple of weeks. It seems like she feels a bit better, though she does still appear to be a very sick little girl. But she did eat on her own, and during the 5 hours I was there, she went to get a drink 6 times. She stayed out in the living room almost the entire time, even batting at her toy once. Mostly she slept on the couch. her nose definitely looks more pink and her respiration was 42 (down from 56 a couple days ago). I called and asked mom how she was doing last night, and she ate again on her own. I don’t know if she kept it down, but find out today. It’s easy to see she’s still not out of the woods, but this all has given us hope that she’s on the mend. Her bloodwork is only 2 days away, so that should tell a lot.
You all have given me a lot to ask the vet and I appreciate it. Thanks you.
This sounds so promising! Especially about her nose regaining some color and her respiration heading towards normal. I hope she is having another good day today. :heartshape:

SilentDream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A quick update before I go to mom's this morning. Weasy had her second blood work done and it seems to show an improvement. Her wbc are in the normal zone now. She seems to be feeling better, but is still not eating very much. She does drink, so thats good. The vet told mom to continue with the antibiotic injections for another week and to bring her back on Tues. Said she is going in the right direction. Mom is going to give this treatment a chance to work, since weasy seems to be getting better.

20230308_100739.jpg

Her latest blood work. The anemia stuff didn't improve all that much. Hoping it just takes time. Idk I'm still so worried about her.

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm really thinking steroids may help bring those numbers up a little quicker. I know sometimes the vets may think it's contraindicated when using antibiotics, but in instances of anemia I've seen the combo do wonders. But again, that is just my experience.

I'm glad some of her numbers are showing improvement, hoping kitty continues to do better! 🙏❤

SilentDream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The RBC has improved a bit, but HCT and HGB are still very low, and this can make her feel weak and tired. That's why she isn't eating much.
Did you ask for a blood transfusion?
She did ask and was told that if her blood levels reached 15 or lower then they would suggest blood transfusion. She would have to take her 5 hrs away to do it, though, and she's worried to take her so far.

SilentDream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm really thinking steroids may help bring those numbers up a little quicker. I know sometimes the vets may think it's contraindicated when using antibiotics, but in instances of anemia I've seen the combo do wonders. But again, that is just my experience.

I'm glad some of her numbers are showing improvement, hoping kitty continues to do better! 🙏❤
Thank you for the suggestion. I told mom to ask her vet about this. Maybe they'll give it a try. Thanks to this forum, mom is taking a list of questions to ask the vet.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Absolutely no steroids. This cat was given carprofen ( rimadyl) by the vet. Steroids could perforate the gut.
I am glad she seems to be feeling better.

SilentDream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm researching to see how long rimadyl stays in a cat's system. I've also been looking into alt medication for pain relief. Not only for mom's cat, but I have 8 of my own and when I had them spayed/neutered the vet gave all of them a remadyl inj. Makes me so angry that I wasn't informed and given the option. It's not right because I never would have allowed that med to be used.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Let me just reemphasize what S silent meowlook said which is that there is a window of time before any steroid can be used if carprofen was given or it will ulcerate the gut or stomach. Carprofen stays in the system of a cat for at least 2 days. It might be wise to do a blood test to check for organ function once you believe that it has cleared the system.

There are websites that suggest that carprofen can be given to cats under certain circumstances with caution; however, Zoetis has nothing on their Rimadyl site about using it for cats.

Last edited: