Is This Normal?

Ladymeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please excuse my grammar/spelling English is not my first or second language.

hello I found some kittens who were born 5 days ago it started out with four of them but when I went back to check on them an hour later one was dead and the mom cat wasn’t around anymore, so I watched from my bedroom window to see if she would come back but for the next 5 hours she was refusing to feed/clean or go near them, I often fed her when she was pregnant so she is pretty used to me, I walked over to her and picked her up to put her with the kittens, she sniffed them once and walked away again. I didn’t want the remaining 3 to die so I took them inside, she is inside the house with them but still refuses to go anywhere near them, I have been bottle feeding them and sadly one passed from fading kitten syndrome today, the 2 left are eating fine and sleeping, one is energetic but the other one has never really done anything else other then eat,meow and use the restroom, he is pretty weak but he crawls around and eats, should I be more concerned? Or is this normal behavior for a 5 day old kitten? He is also the runt of the litter.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Reading your post, will answer soon. Please stand by.

Please excuse my grammar/spelling English is not my first or second language.

hello I found some kittens who were born 5 days ago it started out with four of them but when I went back to check on them an hour later one was dead and the mom cat wasn’t around anymore, so I watched from my bedroom window to see if she would come back but for the next 5 hours she was refusing to feed/clean or go near them, I often fed her when she was pregnant so she is pretty used to me, I walked over to her and picked her up to put her with the kittens, she sniffed them once and walked away again. I didn’t want the remaining 3 to die so I took them inside, she is inside the house with them but still refuses to go anywhere near them, I have been bottle feeding them and sadly one passed from fading kitten syndrome today, the 2 left are eating fine and sleeping, one is energetic but the other one has never really done anything else other then eat,meow and use the restroom, he is pretty weak but he crawls around and eats, should I be more concerned? Or is this normal behavior for a 5 day old kitten? He is also the runt of the litter.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You must fight on the little one. He may be a goner, its fully possible there is some fault, and this is why momma isnt interested in them. But if a human caretaker fights on vigorously, such kittens may often be saved.

I understand you DO have some knowledge on handfeeding small kittens. Which is of course good. :)

What food are you giving, exactly? Can you get raw goat milk?

Amount: Roughly 8 ml / 30 grammes a day. Round off upwards. If the kittens wants more, you can give more.
A runt on 60 grammes will need minimum 16 ml of kmr or goats mil a day.

A weak kitten needs to be fed every 2 hours, perhaps even more often.

You can perk in some extra energy by smearing honey sweeted water on its lips and gum.

Say, 2 tea spoons of honey in a cup of warm water. The glucose sugar in honey goes directly into blood already in the mouth.

If you use honey as pedialyte, it will be 1 tea spoon + a little salt with 1 cup warm water.

Be sure the little one is nicely warm. You can also massage it with a toothbrush or your forefinger.
Warming up, if momma doesnt want: your chest is good. Otherwise a heating pad. An IR-warming lamp is useful.

Please come back for reports and further questions!

Ps. Weak sucklers are often better helped with a dropper or a little syringe. This way they dont need to suckle, its enough they can swallow.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What country are you in? it helps us to give better directed advices.

And you english is pretty good! More than enough.
This is also an international forum, even if most participants are from USA. So its entirely OK with an english less than perfect.
Just take me as an example. :)

ps. Did I mentioned a scale? A scale to know exactly how much a kitten weights, and if it adds properly every day, is very useful. Best in grammes.