Is this cat acne or something else?

BilbinitheGreat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat Bilbo is nearly 8 years old, generally healthy orange tabby (though a bit overweight). He's had this dark scabby spot on his chin for a good while now and it doesn't seem to hurt him at all when touched. He's due for a vet visit soon, but I thought to ask y'all if this is just feline cat acne or possibly something else? Thanks!
IMG-1841.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Not sure if that is acne or not. But, I am pretty sure he has been scratching at whatever it is, causing it to bleed. I tend to think it might be something else, as I would have expected it to be covering a bit more area than that one spot is. Does he go outside where he could have gotten into something that caused a wound? Or, even perhaps, something inside?

I don't suppose you use plastic bowl or dishes for his water and food - sometimes, after a bit of 'wear and tear', the plastic will begin to harbor bacteria which can cause acne. Plastic that is not washed often, even if newer, can do the same thing. Ceramic or stainless dishes are better for preventing bacterial build up.

Until the vet visit - if it is soon enough, or unless it gets worse before that - you can try a home remedy to see if it might help clear it up a bit. Buy standard grocery store tea bags, which are typically all German - you don't want English or any flavorings/additives - brew a bag in water, cool the liquid, and apply it to the area with a soft cloth 2-3 times a day. The tea is an anti-bacterial/anti-fungal agent, and has both soothing and healing properties. It is also safe should he ingest any of it.

Last edited:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks a bit like acne to me. I've only seen it on one of my many cats. It came and went for no reason at all as far as we could make out. Sometimes it bled a bit but it didn't seem to bother her. We never had plastic dishes so never found out the cause. Unless it gets worse, in which case it could be a fungus infection, I would not make a special vet appointment just wait till your next visit. If you are on good terms with the vet, you could simply send the photo and ask his opinion.