Is this a normal spay surgery wound? (Graphic)

Mochimotia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mochi is 3 days post surgery, and barely stops licking her wound. The vets told her she wouldn't need a cone because "cats don't really need one" so I didn't get her one. She also wouldn't let me put anything on her. Every time she licks it my heart sinks. This is my first ever cat and I have no idea what to expect a normal surgery wound to look like so all of this is making me really anxious.

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks really good! The 'cratches up above may have to be treated with some cat wound spray, applied with a cotton ball, not sprayed on, but the incision itself looks fine. It is glued, not stitched. It is not opening at all. There may be a lump at the site, that is inside swelling and is fine if it is there. Look for any drainage that is thick and colored white/yellow/green, any spreading redness, and extreme swelling. That is infection. also, watch her, a cat that has an infection will hide and stop eating. I have never used a cone on any of my cats and they have been fine. Licking cleans the wound too. That incision seems large, my vet spays with openings that are only two inches long. You might get her some toys to play with and get her mind off of licking, or toss her a treat, like freeze-dried fish/meat.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does not look "bad" exactly. It just seems rather long and crooked. I have never seen a spay incision like that, and I have seen at least a hundred! I do not notice any obvious redness or concerning swelling. You do not notice any thick discharge or off smell? If not, she is healing well.

I am a fan of cones or soft collars to keep them from licking because I have seen a couple of ferals open up their incision and several others with bad infections.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spay wounds usually open up from jumping, etc., and get infected from germs from the vet's office. A glued incision resists bacteria much more readily. I have had many spays and some have opened a little on one end, but healed fine with no intervention. The best way to know if it is infected is to watch their appetite, though I have had cats refuse to eat for several days after a spay. hiding is a bad sign too. Keeping the area clean by wiping daily with wound care for cats, and a little licking is fine. Just don't let her lick for overlong, distract her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mochimotia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are a blessing! Thank you so much for the reassurance! I was wondering what those scratches were, maybe that happened while playing. She's a very active 6 month old kitty, there's only so much I can do to suppress her.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, you would think pain would subdue them a little, but I have had cats act as nothing happened! your little girl maybe a little more subdued coming up, the pain meds they give them may last for several days, so she may feel a little more in a day or two.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The scratches are probably from the clippers. Vets should never be allowed to clip.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure is big, but doesn't look bad. As long as she doesn't obsessively lick it, a little cleaning on her part won't open the incision.

I've never needed a cone or onesie for a spay, but if you're still worried, you might put a onesie on her and see if she will tolerate that.

She's already halfway through the worst part. I think she'll be just fine. Just keep her quiet and calm as you can for the next week or so (with a 6-month old cat? yeah, I know).