Is this a normal poop color?

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First off I want to apologize for the gross photos that are going to be attached here. But I do need some help as I’m a little worried. Ever since Scooter had blood in his pee September after coming home from that I have been monitoring his bathroom habits like a hawk. He had a bad day yesterday(Friday since it is currently 3:40am in WV right now as I type this). He threw up a couple of times and had diarrhea. Which I gave him last of a probiotic I had for cats before I went out to buy a different brand. He just pooped and I really can’t tell if it’s brown or an off color. Last time he had diarrhea it was light brown. There is no mucus, I see no blood and it’s not black. It wasn’t runny as I was able to scoop it easily out of the box. He is eating Purina Pro Plan Urinary Tract food both dry and wet. The wet food he has no issue with but I think the dry may not be agreeing with him. I do add extra water to his food and he has been drinking water. He is acting normal otherwise playing etc. I did just buy Proviable-DC probiotic as I hear that is the best probiotic for cats. If it is the dry food I can switch him to the Purina One Urinary Tract dry food(as I can’t afford the prescription food from the vet)while continuing to give him the Purina Pro Plan wet food. But I hope his poop is a normal color. Cause I can’t afford a vet visit right now. I still have $1,600 to pay Care Credit for his last emergency visit. So if he needs a vet visit I am so screwed cause I don’t have the money to take him. I hope I don’t sound like a hypochondriac but I can’t help it. He just turned 5 years old so I worry on his health. He is seriously the only cat out of all the cats I have ever had that had a health issue. I do plan on giving him the Proviable probiotic in his wet food later as he already had a probiotic yesterday and I don’t want to overload or overwhelm him. It’s just frustrating when your baby goes through one issue so you worry on other possible issues that end up being nothing. You end up becoming a hypochondriac sometimes too. It’s also a helpless feeling when you have zero money to afford a vet visit right now.

btw I did smush his poop up to examine it. You can see some litter in his poop and anything white is the toilet paper that stuck to the poop. One pic which is the second pic I think I shined a flashlight on it to be able to see better. Again sorry for the pics and sounding like a hypochondriac everyone.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention the probiotic I had before buying the Proviable-DC probiotic was Verti Science pro biotic treat. Scooter started to not want to take it so I had to put it in his food. It’s why I decided to get the Proviable probiotic. Also the Purina Pro Plan urinary dry food is yellow in color so maybe that is why his poop looks like an odd brown color or something? 🤷🏻‍♀️ I just hope a probiotic can help & that I am worrying over nothing.

Last edited:

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First off I want to apologize for the gross photos that are going to be attached here. But I do need some help as I’m a little worried. Ever since Scooter had blood in his pee September after coming home from that I have been monitoring his bathroom habits like a hawk. He had a bad day yesterday(Friday since it is currently 3:40am in WV right now as I type this). He threw up a couple of times and had diarrhea. Which I gave him last of a probiotic I had for cats before I went out to buy a different brand. He just pooped and I really can’t tell if it’s brown or an off color. Last time he had diarrhea it was light brown. There is no mucus, I see no blood and it’s not black. It wasn’t runny as I was able to scoop it easily out of the box. He is eating Purina Pro Plan Urinary Tract food both dry and wet. The wet food he has no issue with but I think the dry may not be agreeing with him. I do add extra water to his food and he has been drinking water. He is acting normal otherwise playing etc. I did just buy Proviable-DC probiotic as I hear that is the best probiotic for cats. If it is the dry food I can switch him to the Purina One Urinary Tract dry food(as I can’t afford the prescription food from the vet)while continuing to give him the Purina Pro Plan wet food. But I hope his poop is a normal color. Cause I can’t afford a vet visit right now. I still have $1,600 to pay Care Credit for his last emergency visit. So if he needs a vet visit I am so screwed cause I don’t have the money to take him. I hope I don’t sound like a hypochondriac but I can’t help it. He just turned 5 years old so I worry on his health. He is seriously the only cat out of all the cats I have ever had that had a health issue. I do plan on giving him the Proviable probiotic in his wet food later as he already had a probiotic yesterday and I don’t want to overload or overwhelm him. It’s just frustrating when your baby goes through one issue so you worry on other possible issues that end up being nothing. You end up becoming a hypochondriac sometimes too. It’s also a helpless feeling when you have zero money to afford a vet visit right now.

btw I did smush his poop up to examine it. You can see some litter in his poop and anything white is the toilet paper that stuck to the poop. One pic which is the second pic I think I shined a flashlight on it to be able to see better. Again sorry for the pics and sounding like a hypochondriac everyone.
Edit: it’s not letting me edit the thread but here are a one more pics

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is he doing today? I would not worry too much about vomiting and diarrhea IF it only lasts for 12 hours or so. That fact that he is having both is a little concerning, but since you mentioned the food seems a little off, I'm not as concerned, but I would definitely not give him any more.

Why not feed him ALL wet food? That would be so much better for a cat with urinary issues, but I'm thinking possible it's a financial issue?

See what the new probiotic does and take it from there. You might also just feed him a poached chicken breast (no spices, onions, garlic, etc.) and see if that helps. It isn't 100% nutritionally complete, but should be fine for a few days to help with any inflammation in his digestive tract

Oh, and I wouldn't worry too much about the color of his stool. With diarrhea, often the color is a little off, and even with it, it doesn't look bad in the pictures, color wise. Color is often dependent on what they ate.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Why not feed him ALL wet food? That would be so much better for a cat with urinary issues, but I'm thinking possible it's a financial issue?
If it was just him I would do that but since I have 2 cats to feed it definitely is a financial problem. Even though Casper has no problem he eats the urinary food cause it’s easier to feed my cats the same cause they have a habit of switching bowls. Why they do that I don’t know cause they both get the same thing. Scooter hasn’t ran to the litter box a lot today he has been to box his normal amount of trips. When he has diarrhea he runs to the litter box. In the poop I showed in pics I did not see blood and it would be clearly visible in his stool. It wasn’t black, yellow, green or tary and no mucus. It was just an odd color to me so I was wondering if it was normal. He threw up only once today yesterday it was like 3 times. The Purina Pro Plan urinary wet food I give him is Chicken, Beef & Chicken, & if I find it in 5.5oz cans turkey & giblets. I try my best to stay away from the seafood flavors which I also did with his old food way before he even had an issue. But I’m hoping it was just a bad day as cats can have bad days like we do. I did all the test they say you can do to test if they are dehydrated. He isn’t dehydrated any at all but I still make sure he intakes more water. I did mix in the proviable probiotic in his wet food at dinner time. He is currently resting now as it’s raining and he always sleeps a lot on rainy days. If I have to I may increase his wet food to twice a day and give him a little bit of dry with water once a day so he has something to crunch on. Which means I will be buying cans more than I normally do. If I didn’t have a financial issue I would just take him to the vet or subscribe to have a case of wet food delivered every 3 weeks. But I don’t have the money for either one sadly.

Last edited:

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: Scooter hasn’t had any diarrhea but he will no longer eat the Purina Pro Plan Urinary dry food. I think there is something in the dry food that doesn’t agree with him. He did throw up once today but only cause one of my parents gave him something they shouldn’t have. I live with my parents due to financial reasons to where I can’t afford to live on my own. My dad buys Friskies for the strays he feeds outside. Friskies was Scooter’s food he was eating before he got a uti issue last month. I asked them to please not give him that dry food anymore one of them did this morning and he threw it up. But has been fine since though he was playing earlier. The Purina Pro Plan Urinary wet food he is fine on it. So it’s why I suspect it was the dry food. I still want to give him some dry even though he gets wet food twice a day but I like to give him a little bit of dry to have something to crunch on. I was going to get Purina One urinary dry food or IAMS urinary health dry food. But my store is out of the 3lbs bags. So til I can get some dry food he will be getting wet food. Which he won’t complain about really and it is good for him. He did have some wet food earlier with a probiotic. Hopefully when that kicks in he won’t have any issues anymore. I know the probiotic will take time since this is day 2 of him getting it so I know it will take time to see results. So it’s why he will get it daily for now.

Now my only issue is what I do with the Purina Pro Plan dry food? I mean the bag I have now I got free cause I got a coupon from Purina. Shelters won’t take it cause it has been open. I mean I can still give it to Casper who still eats it til I get the other. But he isn’t picky he will eat anything right now. I could also toss the bag. I’m not sure yet

Last edited: