Is this a health condition?

megs100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can anyone tell me if this photo is displaying a health issue with my cat please? It's showing fur discoloration on one side of his mouth and I noticed him drooling last night. His normal fur colour is grey & white. I'm not looking for medical advice, just the name of the condition (if it is a condition). My cat is a 5 year old Persian & Ragdoll cross and in all other respects is showing normal health but has been plagued with ticks this year (which I remove and treat him monthly for).

I'm planning on taking him to the vet but would appreciate knowing in advance of any similar experiences. Thanks.

20211015_230329.jpg

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's hard to tell, is his fur near his mouth soaked in saliva?
In general excessive drooling isn't normal, especially if it's a new development.
The discoloration is hard to tell from the small crop, is he usually white?
Does it smell bad?

In any case, a vet visit seems to be in order for your kitty.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! His jaw and skin are fine under the saliva, right? There is no sore under the wet spot? It would be hard for us to tell you the name of a specific condition, but this amount of drooling is not normal. It could be from a teeth or gum issue even if you can't see one yourself. I would go to the vet and have his mouth checked for a start.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

megs100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Appreciate the replies so far. In the photo he's playing upside down and yes, it would be white normally. The photo below is his usual appearance.

20201223_142642.jpg

megs100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to say there's no obvious signs of sores in or around his mouth, nor any discomfort. Also, thank you for my welcome to the site 😻

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's absolutely gorgeous!

How long has it been like this?

There's a plethora of possible underlying causes and a vet is your best bet at getting answers.

Keep us posted and lots of scritches to your little stunner :)

megs100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's absolutely gorgeous!

How long has it been like this?

There's a plethora of possible underlying causes and a vet is your best bet at getting answers.

Keep us posted and lots of scritches to your little stunner :)
He certainly is. He's a stunner and he knows it. Lol. It's been a couple of days of obvious drooling and a couple of weeks of discoloured fur. He's now booked in to see his regular vet on Wednesday morning.