Is the kitten pregnant?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

norwegianforestcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe. His little paws look kind of grayish. Or maybe black smoke? I think the bottom one is a tortie.
The bottom one is a tortie with white, very similar to the mom! I think its a female. And one black with white legs. But im very curious to know the color of the last one. Maybe blue, maybe black or maybe smoke 😍 I didnt check genders on anyone yet, Pixie get nervous if I take the babies so maybe tomorrow or another day I will try to figure out the genders.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there are any black hairs on the baby, or if any hairs are partly black, it is not blue. Black kittens and cats can have some smoky gray hairs, though.

As for the difference between black and black smoke, that can be difficult to determine in a newborn. However, silver / smoke is dominant, so you would not expect to see a black smoke kitten unless one parent is silver or smoke.

norwegianforestcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If there are any black hairs on the baby, or if any hairs are partly black, it is not blue. Black kittens and cats can have some smoky gray hairs, though.

As for the difference between black and black smoke, that can be difficult to determine in a newborn. However, silver / smoke is dominant, so you would not expect to see a black smoke kitten unless one parent is silver or smoke.
Oh I see! I will try to take some better pics of the kitten tomorrow and post here.

norwegianforestcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kittens doing very good and Pixie too! :redheartpump: Are they having a normal size or are they bigger/smaller than usual? Nr 1 weight 135g today, nr 2 weight 144g and nr 3 weight 137g.

I was checking the genders today. I guess nr 1 is a male, nr 2 female and nr 3 female. Am I right? I also wanna thank you all for helping me out with my questions! I really appreciate it :)

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I think you're right.

Hmm, from seeing his little booty, I don't think the boy is blue, he looks like he has frosted tips. I wonder if it's a fever coat. If so, he'll be black when his kitten coat falls out.

norwegianforestcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah I think you're right.

Hmm, from seeing his little booty, I don't think the boy is blue, he looks like he has frosted tips. I wonder if it's a fever coat. If so, he'll be black when his kitten coat falls out.
Wow I had no idea about that. It will be fun to see her color when she gets older!

Btw, Im worried about the boy. Yesterday at 1 om he weight 135 grams. Today at 10 am, he weighted 134g. Now (1 pm) he weight 136g. His sisters grow very fast and the tortie added 15 grams since yesterday and the girl with unknown color added 20 grams since yesterday. But he is still having same weight as yesterday :confused: Should I feed him with some KMR or should I wait until tomorrow? He is warm and seems strong like the girls but I dont know why he is smaller and dont add weight.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
See how he does today. If he does not gain today then you should supplement him. Is he getting a good amount of time on a nipple and not getting pushed off?

Have you fed a tiny kitten before?

norwegianforestcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
See how he does today. If he does not gain today then you should supplement him. Is he getting a good amount of time on a nipple and not getting pushed off?

Have you fed a tiny kitten before?
I weighted him again and now he weight 139g. So he only added 4-5 grams in a day but at least he is adding a little!

Both his sisters seems very ”voilent”. They dig violently with the front paws as they breastfeed. So today I helped him to find a good place to drink milk.

I have never fed a kitten before. A worker on the pharmacy helped me to find adosing syringe with special nozzle for kitten feeding. But I really hope that I dont need to use it.

norwegianforestcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im so happy, he gained from 139g to 160g today! I couldnt believe that he had been growing that much so I weighted him twice and he had really added 29g. I guess its better for kittens to add too much weight than too little. But I heard that its normal for kittens to add 10g per day. Is it really normal for them to add 20-30g per day? 😅