Is she pregnant?

Rachel_mew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi , I've been feeding a stray for a few weeks. I think she's pregnant because of her teets and belly but there is no movement or anything kitten feeling ( I haven't pressed or anything just placed my hands) and her teets look like she may have had a litter in the last few months. I've ordered some pregnant kitty friendly wormer in case her belly is from that. I've made her safe spaces to have the kittens since she should be around a week off, she won't come into the house just sits in the porch. I sat with her today so she felt safe enough to sleep for an hour ( and took sneaky photos of her) . Any advice would be appreciated. I do plan on getting her spayed once she's had the babies. And if she has them here i have a safe place for them and mum to go.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my gosh! Poor kitty. She has definitely nursed a litter already and looks quite far along again.

Apply coconut oil or bag balm to her nipples and the surrounding area. Also feed her as much kitten chow and wet food as she wants. I’m also encouraging you to please bring her inside now so she gets comfortable before giving birth. Set up a nest in your bedroom if possible so she has a safe space. She and kittens will be much better off inside, and mom won’t disappear when she goes into heat again after the kittens are born.

Thank you for caring for her!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rachel_mew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi again , unfortunately I can't keep her in my house as i have dogs and other cats ( all spayed) She's fine with the dogs but my cats HATE her. I live on a small holding ( tiny old farm) so was thinking she might be okay in a water tight outbuilding or a horse stable? Id make it nice for her of course. She's been spending a lot of time here and sleeping here through the day which she never used to do. She's still eating A LOT.
The royal mail is striking at the moment so all the things I've ordered are delayed which is really annoying. How far along do you think she could be?

Rachel_mew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll give them a call tomorrow. I'm not sure they do free exams though since she isn't injured.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
In the photo she looks exceedingly grateful to have a place of rest and refuge. I hope your barn is safe from wild creatures. Thank you for all you are doing—- I am sure she appreciates the food, comfort and help. ❤

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She definitely needs a safe place to have and raise her kittens, and she’ll need spaying when the kittens are 6-8 weeks old and weaning. She may need flea meds and worming. A vet may be able to tell you how far along she is.

Can you get a local rescue or shelter involved? They will usually take care of such things and find homes for the kittens and mom. They may allow you to be the foster. Please make some calls, especially if you cannot personally afford vet care and cannot guarantee safety for mom and kittens.

You are doing a wonderful thing in caring for her!

Rachel_mew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I called the Vet and they can't see her for free so I'll try the cats trust. She will 100% be safe , I'd never keep her and her babies anywhere she might be in danger. In the UK you can get a voucher to spay stray cats so I'll get that sorted once the kittens are born. She's had some flea/tick treatment this morning and hopefully the worming meds will arrive tomorrow (I did some research to make sure both are pregnant kitty friendly)
Hopefully one of the local rescues can help =)

Rachel_mew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update. So today she'd brought a kitten , just one and it looks around 4 weeks old to me. I can't get a good photo of it because it's scared of people. Mum cat has looked constantly pregnant and the kitten must have been born before I posted this thread. I'm really confused. Good news is though if the kitten is around a month I'll be able to get her spayed in 4 weeks. Can anyone guess roughly how old it is please? I'll try and get better photos

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens can be spayed around 2 lbs. I wait until they are 6 months old, or teenagers, because my vet won't spay them before then. Mama could definitely still be pregnant, I just had one spayed last year that was pregnant three times in one summer. Kitten looks 5-6 weeks.

Rachel_mew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll be getting mum cat spayed when the kitten is 8 weeks 🙂 I'll rehome the kitten with someone I know and they'll get them fixed when old enough.

Rachel_mew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are 3 kittens now! She must have brought them in the night. But i think there could be more judging by her teats all of them look used and kittens like to use the same one 🤔

Rachel_mew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes they have been eating wet food and nursing a bit too but I think mum cat is trying to wean them and maybe brought them here knowing I could give them food that isn't milk.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for providing refuge for that beautiful little family! The kittens look about 5-6 weeks to me. They all have gorgeous coats and look healthy - what a good mother cat to have provided so well on her own. She is a smart kitty to have chosen you as her guardian- you are doing an awesome job at ensuring a bright future for them. And you have included photos- a real treat for your fellow TCSers!