Is she pregnant?

Kittle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, This kitten is about 6 months old and the neighbor decided they didn't want her anymore. So, we're adopting her and she seems like she might be pregnant.
20200426_175006~2.jpg
IMG_20200421_203700_946~2.jpg
20200426_175225~2.jpg
20200426_175040~2.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I've dealt with a pregnant cat in the past, but it's been over ten years ago. We'll be getting her spayed as soon as we're supposed to, for sure!

I have two more questions if y'all don't mind.

1) how much longer could you guestimate she has left before delivery just based off the pictures?

2) how worried should I be about our 16 year old female cat harming the kittens once they're born? She, herself came to us as a pregnant stray years ago and she's been the most even tempered, patient with small kids, and wonderful cat I've ever met. However, she's not warmed up to the new cat and they've tried to fight. It's only been a couple weeks since we got new kitty though.

Thanks so much.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you seen or felt kitten movement in her sides yet? Once you do she’s a couple weeks from the end. She looks at least 6 weeks along.

I would definitely separate the pregnant kitty and her kittens from your resident cat once the kittens have arrived. Mom and babies would do best the first few weeks in a spare room of their own. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good. That's what I was thinking too, about 6 weeks along. I haven't seen movement yet.

I've been keeping the cats separate. She and the Chihuahua can finally be in the same room. Just wonder if these two female cats will get along before Kitty delivers or if the older cat knows the kitty is pregnant and if that makes her mad or if that stuff matters to the both of them. Maybe it's solely to do with territorial issues. Wish I knew of a way to speed up the process of them getting along. I feel like they will eventually.

Thank y'all so much for being so nice and helpful. And for the links. ❤🙂

happykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you can first bring her to the vet for deworming and testing to make sure there is nothing that would spread to your other cat. You could try introducing them very slowly through a crack in the door, etc. and taking it very slowly. You would not want to upset either of them too much and definitely keep mom separate when she is getting close to birth until the kittens are at least 4 weeks, as moms with young kittens are the most protective.