Is she feral or stray??

OPN

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We live in an apartment complex. We've been catching cats and getting them fixed. There is one who leaves the patio when we go out with food but comes right back up to eat. One time she even came up when I was still out there putting food in other bowls. We caught her and got her fixed and were holding her for a bit after her spay. I thought about keeping her but how can I know if she is stray or feral? She is in the bathroom in the trap. She doesn't meow at us. This is how she is laying.

Attachments

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
It’s often very difficult to tell when they’re in a trap, unfortunately :/

Can you describe her behavior more before you trapped her? How close could you get to her? Has she ever vocalized?

thank your for TNRing them!

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, and just have to ask! Are you keeping the trap covered?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OPN

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I could get 4 feet or so from her. At first she would run off to where we couldn't see her and then come back when we went inside. She started just walking right off the patio when we went out with food. She will eat and then lay down for hours out there sometimes. She doesn't normally eat and run off. I dont think I've ever heard her meow. She disappeared for about a month and started coming back 3 days ago so I knew that was our opportunity to trap her and get her fixed. The cage isn't covered but it is in a bathroom we don't use when we have a cat in it. Is it supposed to be covered? Sorry if it is. My husband and I just started catching cats. We moved to this apartment complex a year ago and tried reaching out to rescues for help with all the cats in the complex but none of them could help. So we went out and bought a trap at tractor supply and started getting them fixed.

It’s often very difficult to tell when they’re in a trap, unfortunately :/

Can you describe her behavior more before you trapped her? How close could you get to her? Has she ever vocalized?

thank your for TNRing them!

Kokomo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it is wonderful you are helping these cats out! I just wanted to drop in to say even if she is a feral it doesn't mean you shouldn't or can't keep her. I have had feral cats in the past who have turned out to be amazing cats and currently have a feral who is all love and cuddles once he feel safe with you.

1662571978420.png

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for helping these cats. All of my pet cats, except one, are ex ferals. This includes my avatar who was born under a house in the neighborhood. It is a misconception that ferals cannot become friendly or become pets. Do you want to try to keep her inside?

From her behavior, I would say that she may have feral roots, given that she is silent. Ferals are taught by their moms never to make a sound which would alert a predator to where they are. When they are given homes, they often will start to talk, but it will be a funny little squeak as opposed to what we might call traditional "cat talk." Her willingness to trust you enough to hang out at your place shows much more trust than a true feral will ever exhibit. I have had a feral on my property for 17 years, ( assuming that she will still be here on September 17) who has never transitioned to even staying in the same area as I feed, never stayed close to the house, and still sees me as a threat.

I believe your cat can be worked with; it is a process, but she seems to have potential to be a pet.