Is Sedation Safe for Seniors?

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The worst feeling in the world is to step on a fresh vomited hairball in the dark WITH NO SLIPPERS ON.!!!
My short hair ckd senior has been taking Omega 3 in churus and her coat is really smooth and soft now. Noticeably different! But she is mega shedding...and mega licking! She hurled 2 hairballs and pooped out a hairy deposit in one week alone. She grooms every time she eats which is all day because of the Mirataz giving her an appetite for her ckd.
So I made an appointment with a long time professional groomer to get a shampoo, blow dry and removal of the clumps of hair she can't reach on her haunches,etc.
Sedation for grooming was mentioned in another post.
My cat HATES water and I know she will think she is auditioning for cirque du soleil "sans grace".
How dangerous is sedation for heart healthy seniors with underlying conditions such as ckd?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Call your vet and see how they feel about giving you a prescription for Gabapentin. It would relax her. I gave it to Abby the last time she had an ultrasound and it helped a lot. Abby is 19 with a long list of issues.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do they have to do a bath? Can’t they just brush and clip if needed. I definitely wouldn’t want the cat bathed snd blow dried if it was my cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Follow up. I am so glad I took her to the salon. She had a lovely bath and got a nail trim, ear cleaning and most importantly, all those mats removed. She behaved better for the groomer than she does for me! She smells sooooo gooood! Her attitude is one of contentment..you should see her swanning around the house with her tail held high now. She looks and feels great , and she knows it. Why was I hesitant?
No sedation...but she did yowl as usual when I placed her in the carrier for the car ride to and back.
No way could I have gotten those results and that kind of handling at one of the big pet supply stores.
It is worth it to search for a professional groomer(this one has 30 yrs experience) and pay a bit more.