Is queen is prelabor?

forthefreefood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I'm fostering a queen and I don't know her back story, meaning I have no idea how long she has even pregnant. I took her in 3 weeks ago and at that time she already looked very pregnant and we thought she'd deliver any day.

I've been taking her temp under her armpit with a normal thermometer and it's been reading 99.5ish, but today it is reading 98.4. So I think it's dropped but since I'm not using a rectal one I don't want to rely on this.

I'm attached a photo of what I believe is clear discharge from yesterday. Is it possible she lost her mucous plug and I didn't see it?? Her nipped appear to be more pink the past few days but she is still eating. Not as much I guess though.

Today for the first time I found throw up on the floor. Just one spot and it was hard and solid. She hasn't been nesting so much. She just wants to lay next to me on the bed, belly up and sleep. I see lots of movements from kittens.
20221117_222206.jpg

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She certainly sounds close! Are you seeing kitten movement or contractions? At the end, the kittens are bigger and more squeezed and actually move less. If you’re seeing “ripples” down her sides, it’s likely stage one labor.

Thanks for fostering and keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

forthefreefood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She certainly sounds close! Are you seeing kitten movement or contractions? At the end, the kittens are bigger and more squeezed and actually move less. If you’re seeing “ripples” down her sides, it’s likely stage one labor.

I will! Thanks!

Any idea if the pic shows remnants of the mucus plug?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

forthefreefood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Would she show any signs of pain if they are contractions? She doesn't seem to be in pain.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I can’t really tell, but clear discharge is normal in the days before labor. It means her body is getting ready.

Also, when taking under the arm temperatures, you must add 2 degrees; however, I do not recommend temperature checks for expectant cats. It’s not a reliable indicatore.