Is normal for 3months cat eat so much ?

hongducwb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My new persian cat (f2 maybe) never stop eating, last few days, he's eating so much that his belly is so big and round, and even there's something big as thumb size under his belly, his rib expanded, after several time taking a poop, that thing is just gone, everything back to normal

After overeating, he have 2 times blood from anus
one time there's tiny red round shape sticked on litter box, squeeze and there's blood
another time is blood in his ass, i need to clean it, it's not bleeding btw

Today stool is very normal, no sign of blood, shaped stool, but look like softer and less smell.

He's still gaining weight, from 900g and now to 1.35kg, extremly active, can always eating if saw owner eating/preparing food. Skin health look like improvement.

Next week is 2nd vaccine shot, i will ask vet to check him too

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It can be normal to have some rounding after eating for a kitten. Which solves after a poo.

The blood is a concern. If there is blood after a poo, it does mean the poo is too hard. It's best to ask the vet for stool softener (usually Miralax or Restorilax is given to an older cat). Constant pain when pooing can eventually cause them to not use their box.

- are you feeding wet food? If yes, what is the mix from wet/dry?
- has your kitten been de-wormed?
- how active is your kitten?
- have you seen any signs of stress? A stressed cat may hold their poos and pees for longer, causing issue.
- Does the food your feeding have enough fiber is another consideration. It may be that your cat needs a higher fibre ratio. This differs from cat to cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hongducwb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
-dry food mixing with water (sometime goat/beef/chicken meat, vegetables soup,etc..)
-yes, about 1 month ago
-once he hearing dryfood bag shaking, he's instantly run to me, free-roaming over the house, 4 floor, run pretty fast, playing with other adult cat
- no, it just few seconds, but his eye is look like trying to push the poop(my other adult cat are same) , and have watery eye(maybe because f2 persian cat, my 5 adult cat is f3 i think, nose is far from eyes)
- i think so, but look like he need more fiber ?
1666081157570.png
1666081185878.png
potato, etc..

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes I would speak the the vet about getting his poos softer. :) More fiber could make them larger which is not what you want to do right now.

A healthy poo needs the right about of fat, fibre and water to help it pass. It should be soft but generally in a log. Vet Approved Cat Stool Chart: Decoding Your Cat's Poop - All About Cats

In the meantime, I would recommend you adding some wet food to your cats's diets. Even then sharing a can of wet food with extra water added once a day will be super helpful to their health long term. If that's not available to you, keep adding the water to their dry food.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blood in cats' stools not only means that the poop might be hard, but it can also be a signal of a GI issue, like an irritation or inflammation, likely caused by inappropriate food.
Your kitten's bloated belly might also be a sign of an inappropriate diet.

From your past threads and posts, I believe you cook home food for him, but I also believe that the diet you are feeding him isn't what he should eat.
Also, potatoes aren't the best food for a cat, just like rice, which should be boiled twice before giving it to a cat. This means that you boil the rice, then you flush and rinse it under running water, then you cook it again. This is to reduce the amount of stark in it.

I strongly advise you to stick with high quality cat food, both canned and dry. And if it's possible, make sure the dry food has the less grain content as possible.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats stress signs are very subtle. Signs of stress in cats:

Those above videos are the beginning in series about stress, how it can manifest and what physical symptoms can be caused by it.

You should not be adding spinach, lettuce and potato to your cat's diet. Cats eat partially digested grasses and grains in their prey's stomachs.

I do not believe the majority of people should be feeding their cats raw diets, especially homemade raw diets. I know there are many here who disagree with me but many cats and dogs end up with nutritional deficiencies from homemade raw diets. There's no research showing that it is better longitudinally (long term) for healthy* cats and commercial food is partially to blame for humans having extended cats life spans, the only pet we have done that for!

*Healthy meaning having no particular condition, long term illness or disease. I believe some individuals have shared that it positively impacts pets with IBD. There may be other conditions that cats have, where research shows that raw diets assist with the management of that condition.

hongducwb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Blood in cats' stools not only means that the poop might be hard, but it can also be a signal of a GI issue, like an irritation or inflammation, likely caused by inappropriate food.
Your kitten's bloated belly might also be a sign of an inappropriate diet.

From your past threads and posts, I believe you cook home food for him, but I also believe that the diet you are feeding him isn't what he should eat.
Also, potatoes aren't the best food for a cat, just like rice, which should be boiled twice before giving it to a cat. This means that you boil the rice, then you flush and rinse it under running water, then you cook it again. This is to reduce the amount of stark in it.

I strongly advise you to stick with high quality cat food, both canned and dry. And if it's possible, make sure the dry food has the less grain content as possible.
with rice, just washing/soaking them before cook, i dont know where you cook rice but in Vietnam, is just washing/soaking, put it in rice cooker, add some water to balance between soft of rice and make sure it cooked

Cats stress signs are very subtle. Signs of stress in cats:

Those above videos are the beginning in series about stress, how it can manifest and what physical symptoms can be caused by it.

You should not be adding spinach, lettuce and potato to your cat's diet. Cats eat partially digested grasses and grains in their prey's stomachs.

I do not believe the majority of people should be feeding their cats raw diets, especially homemade raw diets. I know there are many here who disagree with me but many cats and dogs end up with nutritional deficiencies from homemade raw diets. There's no research showing that it is better longitudinally (long term) for healthy* cats and commercial food is partially to blame for humans having extended cats life spans, the only pet we have done that for!

*Healthy meaning having no particular condition, long term illness or disease. I believe some individuals have shared that it positively impacts pets with IBD. There may be other conditions that cats have, where research shows that raw diets assist with the management of that condition.
wheat grass is the best thing for cat, to get rid of fur in intestine and more
and potato,etc..i just give them sometime, not daily, btw in vietnam, water spinach is called Rau muống so i dont know if water spinach is harmful for them

and i think my cat diet is ok at least for now, have only one inbred cat died by exposed FPV at shelter after pyometra surgery, in 6 years+.
But i think i should give them improvement diet to make female cats from 3kg->4kg, the male one already spayed stay at 7-8kg

Yes I would speak the the vet about getting his poos softer. :) More fiber could make them larger which is not what you want to do right now.

A healthy poo needs the right about of fat, fibre and water to help it pass. It should be soft but generally in a log. Vet Approved Cat Stool Chart: Decoding Your Cat's Poop - All About Cats

In the meantime, I would recommend you adding some wet food to your cats's diets. Even then sharing a can of wet food with extra water added once a day will be super helpful to their health long term. If that's not available to you, keep adding the water to their dry food.
my 6 cats stool rn,

1666109187122.png

but the one who have broken pelvis i just watched her recently stool, there's extra mucus(clear, have little brown color in it) seperated from stool, i use toilet paper to wipe her ass and see light brown color.

look like i need to plant wheat grass once again for them, but need order extra seeds because current seed is already expired :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
with rice, just washing/soaking them before cook, i dont know where you cook rice but in Vietnam, is just washing/soaking, put it in rice cooker, add some water to balance between soft of rice and make sure it cooked
This is what we do when we cook rice for ourselves, but when you cook it for dogs or cats, you need to do what I wrote above. Stark is not good for them.
Also, as I wrote in my post, you have to make sure that you are feeding your cat with appropriate food for them. Some foods can give them constipation, irritation, inflamation, etc, or even be unbalanced or toxic.

hongducwb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is what we do when we cook rice for ourselves, but when you cook it for dogs or cats, you need to do what I wrote above. Stark is not good for them.
Also, as I wrote in my post, you have to make sure that you are feeding your cat with appropriate food for them. Some foods can give them constipation, irritation, inflamation, etc, or even be unbalanced or toxic.
i will try my best

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats cannot digest potatoes well: Are Potatoes Toxic for Cats?

a little sweet potato as a treat or something is not bad, but not every week.

water spinach is also called Morning Glory in English and it is toxic to cats, dogs and horses. It should never be fed.

they could have some Japanese nori for digestion. I don't know about other kinds of seaweed because it's expensive where I am so I wouldn't share with my cats 😹. We give it dried to our cats but they can also have it soaked in water.

At least in English if you search something and then write toxic to cats, you will find some resources that will let you know if it is toxic.

If the reason for feeding home-cooked is because there is not much commercial food available in Vietnam, then it's best for you to ask some experienced people on the raw forums to ensure you have providing proper balance.

I think you can use the seeds even if they are expired. Less might grow, but they have not "gone bad".

hongducwb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats cannot digest potatoes well: Are Potatoes Toxic for Cats?

a little sweet potato as a treat or something is not bad, but not every week.

water spinach is also called Morning Glory in English and it is toxic to cats, dogs and horses. It should never be fed.

they could have some Japanese nori for digestion. I don't know about other kinds of seaweed because it's expensive where I am so I wouldn't share with my cats 😹. We give it dried to our cats but they can also have it soaked in water.

At least in English if you search something and then write toxic to cats, you will find some resources that will let you know if it is toxic.

If the reason for feeding home-cooked is because there is not much commercial food available in Vietnam, then it's best for you to ask some experienced people on the raw forums to ensure you have providing proper balance.

I think you can use the seeds even if they are expired. Less might grow, but they have not "gone bad".
from a child until adult, have about 40 cats, my family usually feeding them with rice/rau muống/and fish, they are very well until they get poisoned/stolen by cat thief

btw i dont think it have seed
1666440205206.png

water spinach aka rau muống, the only two down-size i think is if they eating everyday, they will get diarrhea by absorb too many iron (contains abundant quantities of water, iron, vitamin C, vitamin A and other nutrients)
and it will get stucked on their ass because it's too long, and then they will trying to wipe it on floors

p/s: my new kitten now eating much of foods (rice/dry food,etc..) his belly is big, i can feel something under his belly, and still eating more

several hours later he gave me 2 big stool, less smell, well shaped, right color, no blood (same stool size of adult cat)

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
from a child until adult, have about 40 cats, my family usually feeding them with rice/rau muống/and fish, they are very well until they get poisoned/stolen by cat thief

btw i dont think it have seed
View attachment 434534

water spinach aka rau muống, the only two down-size i think is if they eating everyday, they will get diarrhea by absorb too many iron (contains abundant quantities of water, iron, vitamin C, vitamin A and other nutrients)
and it will get stucked on their ass because it's too long, and then they will trying to wipe it on floors

p/s: my new kitten now eating much of foods (rice/dry food,etc..) his belly is big, i can feel something under his belly, and still eating more

several hours later he gave me 2 big stool, less smell, well shaped, right color, no blood (same stool size of adult cat)
It says toxic. Diarrhea is the symptom. Toxic means poison to them. Please do not feed him water spinach.

Just because something has many vitamins, does NOT mean it is good for cats. There is a compound in it that is toxic.

Just because they don't die immediately, also doesn't make it any less toxic. Many toxic plants slowly kill a cat over time or shut down a vital organ.

The ASPCA lists this plant as a "contact poison control immediately". So this warning should be taken seriously.

You might want to consider that the water spinach is slowly poisoning the cats. There is a type of false clover here in Canada that is often in many people's yards. It has a similar effect where over time, the kidney is poisoned and shuts down. We didn't know this and our cat ate some. Luckily his numbers came back good. The vet said, the effect of this poison would be similar to a human slowly eating rat poison in that over time he would be effected and become ill and die. Water spinach is similar. Screenshot_20221022-161015-293.png Screenshot_20221022-160935-110.png

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Morning Glory is toxic. Ingesting the seeds and experiencing an hallucinogenic episode is another part of this plant apart from the toxicity. I know and understand that you are trying very hard with your cats, but if there have been previous poisonings, I would consider if the Morning Glory might have been involved.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
H hongducwb , several members of this website are telling you the same thing, that some foods you are feeding your cats aren't safe and might be toxic. This should make some doubts come to your mind, you could think that we know what we're talking about.
In the utmost interest of your cats you should follow our advice.
There is plenty of commercial food for cats, dry and wet, out there, and despite what you may think of them, they are more reliable and balanced, hence healthy and safe, than what you are feeding them now.
Rice, potatoes and herbs aren't what a kitten needs.

Last edited: