Is my kitten’s spay incision infected?

shayok

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, I cannot express how happy I am to have come across this site. My 6mo kitten got spayed four days ago and I’m worried that she ripped a stitch and that her incision site is getting infected. She is so active that it is hard to keep her from jumping on every surface or put into a bedroom for the day without her scratching the door to shreds to play with her brothers (our other cats). Of course we are doing everything we can to keep her from requiring a restitch and antibiotics, but it has proven to be difficult.

Here are pictures of her incision from yesterday and today. I was going to take her i to the vet today but we got hit with a huge snowstorm and they aren’t open again until Monday. Any insight is much appreciated and so helpful, I just don’t want to end up putting her through pain I could have prevented if her incision is infected. Thanks everyone!
BD79C581-DCCA-44D2-AEB7-3B1BDE83CD00.jpeg
BD79C581-DCCA-44D2-AEB7-3B1BDE83CD00.jpeg
D0B9F2A7-A03A-4BC6-8F6B-5C2892399412.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shayok

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also she hasn’t been acting any differently, eating and drinking just fine along with still being her playful/energetic self, which leads my fiancé to believe she is okay but I also worry very much.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s always hard for me to tell from photos. Here are things to check. Is the area hot to the touch? Is there an odor or a lot of discharge? It doesn’t seem red but watch for spreading redness. It appears the edges don’t quite meet in the first pictures but there may just be fluid under the incision. Many vets do check messages. Can you call with your concerns and text or email them the photos? Expert advice from the vet is always the way to go if you are concerned. I would try sending them the photos and do your best to keep kitty quiet if possible. I know how hard that can be! Does she have a cone to wear? If so, try to keep it on her. Licking the incision can lead her to pull at stitches. Some vets use a sort of glue these days. Maybe no stitches have been pulled.
Please do keep us updated.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi S shayok ...for me, the photos look okay, ...but I am not a vet...so what Jcatbird wrote above is definitely the best advice.
I think what you are seeing is the internal stitches are being absorbed...and therefore the bumpy reaction is happening.
(usually, there are three or four layer of stitches....the abdominal wall layer, the subcutaneous layer, and final skin layer...but like Jcatbird mentioned...the skin layer is sometimes closed with surgical glue, nowadays.)

I would just keep an eye on it, for any yellow or white discharge, redness, more opening, hotness, bleeding, etc.
Sometimes you will also see a scab form...but then it falls off...and looks worse...but scabs again.

If you can, post another photo, tomorrow, too.
It really helps that you are monitoring the spay incision with photos, that you can send to your Vet, too.

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, I cannot express how happy I am to have come across this site. My 6mo kitten got spayed four days ago and I’m worried that she ripped a stitch and that her incision site is getting infected. She is so active that it is hard to keep her from jumping on every surface or put into a bedroom for the day without her scratching the door to shreds to play with her brothers (our other cats). Of course we are doing everything we can to keep her from requiring a restitch and antibiotics, but it has proven to be difficult.

Here are pictures of her incision from yesterday and today. I was going to take her i to the vet today but we got hit with a huge snowstorm and they aren’t open again until Monday. Any insight is much appreciated and so helpful, I just don’t want to end up putting her through pain I could have prevented if her incision is infected. Thanks everyone! View attachment 403923View attachment 403923View attachment 403924
I think it looks fine , but check it every few hours and send the pics for ur vet , I think he will know if it's infected , hope ur baby is fine

shayok

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s always hard for me to tell from photos. Here are things to check. Is the area hot to the touch? Is there an odor or a lot of discharge? It doesn’t seem red but watch for spreading redness. It appears the edges don’t quite meet in the first pictures but there may just be fluid under the incision. Many vets do check messages. Can you call with your concerns and text or email them the photos? Expert advice from the vet is always the way to go if you are concerned. I would try sending them the photos and do your best to keep kitty quiet if possible. I know how hard that can be! Does she have a cone to wear? If so, try to keep it on her. Licking the incision can lead her to pull at stitches. Some vets use a sort of glue these days. Maybe no stitches have been pulled.
Please do keep us updated.
It isn’t hot to the touch but there is a small bump growing underneath and today the edges do look more spread. Unfortunately it wasn’t my usual vet who did her spay, so I don’t have the vets number but I did email the office photos of her incision site and have an appointment on Monday morning for her! Thankfully if she needs any aftercare surgery/sutures redone it is charge free, and we have a cone/cat shirt on the way so we can limit her from going under furniture and licking the incision!

shayok

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi S shayok ...for me, the photos look okay, ...but I am not a vet...so what Jcatbird wrote above is definitely the best advice.
I think what you are seeing is the internal stitches are being absorbed...and therefore the bumpy reaction is happening.
(usually, there are three or four layer of stitches....the abdominal wall layer, the subcutaneous layer, and final skin layer...but like Jcatbird mentioned...the skin layer is sometimes closed with surgical glue, nowadays.)

I would just keep an eye on it, for any yellow or white discharge, redness, more opening, hotness, bleeding, etc.
Sometimes you will also see a scab form...but then it falls off...and looks worse...but scabs again.

If you can, post another photo, tomorrow, too.
It really helps that you are monitoring the spay incision with photos, that you can send to your Vet, too.
Here is a photo of her incision today, we have a cone and kitty shirt on the way to keep her from licking and hiding underneath furniture (and hopefully limit jumped and running a bit as well). She so active that I figured it would be difficult to keep her put for long after surgery but hopefully if we need her to get stitches back up it won’t happen again! Vet appointment on Monday morning for her to get checked out

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a photo of her incision today, we have a cone and kitty shirt on the way to keep her from licking and hiding underneath furniture (and hopefully limit jumped and running a bit as well). She so active that I figured it would be difficult to keep her put for long after surgery but hopefully if we need her to get stitches back up it won’t happen again! Vet appointment on Monday morning for her to get checked out
To me, the above photo looks even better than the last one,...because the lumpiness has gone down...and it looks like the internal stitches are being absorbed quite quickly.
Just keep an eye on the opening part...the part between the outer skin flaps...to notice any more whitish, or yellowish discharge or oozing.
Hopefully, that part just scabs over and heals, with more of a clear serum looking surface.

I really don't think you need a cone, but here are some ideas for DIY items...if you need them:
Some members have mentioned using a baby onesie or tube sock, and placing it around their kitten/cat.

You can also try and make your own "paper plate cone". There are many DIY photos mentioning these:
7 DIY Cat Cones: How to Make Your Own at Home (With Pictures) - Excited Cats
(Some youtube videos show you how to make them, too.)

**The Cat Site...has its own Article about the cat cone and alternatives, too:
The Cat Cone: A Complete Owner’s Guide – TheCatSite Articles

(PS ...any chance we can see a photo of her from the front, and what is her name?
we love, love, love photos here. good luck and take care.):)

shayok

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To me, the above photo looks even better than the last one,...because the lumpiness has gone down...and it looks like the internal stitches are being absorbed quite quickly.
Just keep an eye on the opening part...the part between the outer skin flaps...to notice any more whitish, or yellowish discharge or oozing.
Hopefully, that part just scabs over and heals, with more of a clear serum looking surface.

I really don't think you need a cone, but here are some ideas for DIY items...if you need them:
Some members have mentioned using a baby onesie or tube sock, and placing it around their kitten/cat.

You can also try and make your own "paper plate cone". There are many DIY photos mentioning these:
7 DIY Cat Cones: How to Make Your Own at Home (With Pictures) - Excited Cats
(Some youtube videos show you how to make them, too.)

**The Cat Site...has its own Article about the cat cone and alternatives, too:
The Cat Cone: A Complete Owner’s Guide – TheCatSite Articles

(PS ...any chance we can see a photo of her from the front, and what is her name?
we love, love, love photos here. good luck and take care.):)
Oh yes of course! Here is my baby girl, her name is Fate (we found her in the woods while on vacation visiting my dad) 🥰 here’s a picture of her with her cone as well as she gives me the death glare 😂 the office at the vet did recommend a cone, so we did end up just ordering a small inflatable one so it wasn’t something she could get her jaw under, and she hates it but it’s working very well so far! We tried a tube sock this morning but it unfortunately didn’t keep her incision covered. Hoping that she really didn’t rip a stitch but we will found out Monday!
B41DE23E-7CE3-48ED-B070-0D438912D304.jpeg
AD46D530-F2CE-496C-ABC9-D933A5C19FD5.jpeg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An appointment and check will put any worries behind you. I love our vet for being kind and helpful via photos or whatever is needed to help. I know you’ll feel better once the vet can check her. We do love pictures. That side is a precious belly but faces are nice too!;) You have other kitties too? We love all kitties here. Great Kitty guardians too!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes of course! Here is my baby girl, her name is Fate (we found her in the woods while on vacation visiting my dad) 🥰 here’s a picture of her with her cone as well as she gives me the death glare 😂
Oh Wow! Fate is gorgeous. :biggrin: :loveeyes: :blush:
I didn't realize that six month old kittens are so long, and big.
I kind of forgot that they grow so fast.

And yes, Hilarious how she is giving you that 'ultimate death glare'....LOL...:lol: :crackup:
Please don't tell her, that I am laughing...since I don't want any 'death glares' thrown my way. :flail::paranoid: :biggrin:
That photo is priceless.

I'm so glad our cats can't actually verbally 'use the english language'...since I figure they would have certain 'choice words'...at times.
I'm sure your beautiful Fate will forgive you fast. :agree:
the office at the vet did recommend a cone, so we did end up just ordering a small inflatable one so it wasn’t something she could get her jaw under, and she hates it but it’s working very well so far! We tried a tube sock this morning but it unfortunately didn’t keep her incision covered. Hoping that she really didn’t rip a stitch but we will found out Monday!
Yeah, it looks like it's really working well.
I also hope that the interior of the incision...just drains naturally...and that no white or yellowish looking cells develop.
(Sometimes, slightly open incisions or wounds are good,...allowing an abscess to drain naturally.
But so true, ...you don't want the incision to open too much and get infected.)

Hoping that Monday, everything goes well.:goodluck:
Thanks so much for the above photos...and the laugh of the day...with the 'death glare...due to inflatable cone'.
Tell Fate that I think she might have a slight resemblance to Cate Blanchet in the movie "Elizabeth".
Fate is royalty, now. ;)