Is My Kitten Pregnant?

R.Gamble

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I took in an older kitten 2 weeks ago. We have a vet appointment on the 12th, but thought I would seek opinions until then.

She is about 6 months old, intact and found outside. After a few days in the rain someone was able to get her inside for some food.

She has gained soo much weight in 2 weeks and has become quite round. So, is it pregnancy or worms? LoL. It would be nice to start worming now because I have dogs, but I hear it might be unsafe if she is indeed pregnant.
20180930_180352.jpg
20180930_224946.jpg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Given her age and that she was outdoors it is likely. However, it could also be just good eating and getting some tummy. Your vet should be able to tell for sure.

If she is pregnant I do encourage you to have her spayed now. While it will terminate the pregnant she is incredibly young to have this strain on her. There is a greater chance of complications with the birth and with the kittens themselves. Plus young cat mother's often have trouble with caring for their kittens. If she is pregnant and you choose to not stay her yet, be prepared to assist with the raising of the kittens by getting KMR or goat's milk, syringes, bottles on hand and make sure you know where to take her if there are problems with delivery. Also make sure to get her and the kittens spayed/neutered. It is a personal choice of course and we do respect your choice.