Is my funky little dude a boy or a girl

Mckenzie.cheyeann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently adopted a 3-4 week old kitten and have been bottle feeding him/her for several days. This baby is SUPER TINY, I believe he/she was the runt but he/she is full of so.much.energy- so it’s hard to get a good photo but here it is. I for the life of me cannot figure out if this funky little dude is a boy or girl.

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, it's hard for me to say, nothing is very well defined. I think a boy because there's no slit right under the anus like girls have, but I can't actually see any boy bits.

It'll be easier in a few weeks.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm guessing boy after zooming in on the second picture. But fuzzy kittens can be difficult, and that kitten is really fuzzy! How tiny is he/she? Also, I would love to see a picture of his/her cute fuzzy face, if you would like to share one :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mckenzie.cheyeann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A772E722-3199-473B-BD30-2EC07EAAD83E.jpeg
I'm guessing boy after zooming in on the second picture. But fuzzy kittens can be difficult, and that kitten is really fuzzy! How tiny is he/she? Also, I would love to see a picture of his/her cute fuzzy face, if you would like to share one :)
I was thinking boy too but I’m just really unsure. I’m going to wait a few weeks until I feel 100% certain but I think you’re right. He/she is super super fluffy. When I clean him/her off after bottle feeding their hair gets all curly and it’s so cute. I’m guessing the baby is around 4 weeks old but is the runt. Thanks for the reply. Here is Odie(if boy) or Juno (if girl).

Mckenzie.cheyeann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmm, it's hard for me to say, nothing is very well defined. I think a boy because there's no slit right under the anus like girls have, but I can't actually see any boy bits.

It'll be easier in a few weeks.
I’m thinking boy too, I think I’m definitely going to wait a bit longer to say for sure like you said though. Thanks for the reply. :)

Mckenzie.cheyeann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When my boyfriend was bottle feeding our 3-4 week old kitten, the kitten bit the entire tip of the nipple off and swallowed it. We can’t get him in to the vet right now because they are booked with other surgeries and I’m freaking out. Does anyone know of any tips or advice on how to get him to pass it? He is acting completely fine but I’m so worried
A89EDFD6-535A-451A-BA9B-99CE7BE11BB4.png

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Relax! This happens and kittens always pass the tip within a couple of days. Nothing the vet can do. It happened with one of my kittens and we also have other threads on this forum about it if you do a search. All turned out fine!

However, once a kitten gets baby teeth and begins biting the nipple, it’s time to start weaning to soft foods. Mix formula into pate style wet food and let him lick from your finger, then show it to him on a flat plate.

If he won’t eat the soft foods then feed formula with a 5-mL needleless syringe. He can’t bite the tip off a syringe, and you can get one free at a pharmacy.

Mckenzie.cheyeann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Relax! This happens and kittens always pass the tip within a couple of days. Nothing the vet can do. It happened with one of my kittens and we also have other threads on this forum about it if you do a search. All turned out fine!

However, once a kitten gets baby teeth and begins biting the nipple, it’s time to start weaning to soft foods. Mix formula into pate style wet food and let him lick from your finger, then show it to him on a flat plate.

If he won’t eat the soft foods then feed formula with a 5-mL needleless syringe. He can’t bite the tip off a syringe, and you can get one free at a pharmacy.
Okay, that makes me feel a bit better, thanks so much! I’m going to try to get him to eat a bit of soft food later tonight and I don’t think I’ll be letting him use the bottle anymore. After he tore the tip off we poured the rest of the milk in a tiny pan and he licked it right up.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww that's the cutest picture ever! "Give me more milk!"

Yeah, once he has teeth and is lapping out of a dish you can try to introduce solids. Canned food (I like Fancy Feast Kitten) mushed up with formula is a good starter food, or Gerber meat baby food. It sounds like he'll take to it pretty easily.