is my family abusing/neglecting my cats?

coppercobbles

catboy
Kitten
Purraise
forgive my essay, but i can't just keep these concerns to myself.

so i'm currently dependent on my dad, and a bit on my older brother who lives with us. (i'm almost an adult.) i've had 2 cats since childhood, let's call one A and the other B. when my parents split, my cats moved with my dad, but now that i live with him & i'm old enough to recognize things like this, i've noticed some issues with the cats, particularly with A. i can drive, but i don't have my own car, and public transport is minimal where i live; and i currently have no source of personal income to cover the costs of professional care. both my dad and older brother have sources of income and can drive, though i don't know how much they have to spare for pet care costs; but considering we live a relatively lower-middle-class life, it doesn't seem too unattainable if we get a financial plan for them.

B is mostly healthy, but they haven't been brushing her, which is bad since she's longhaired. her fur has developed so many mats and tangles that now it's impossible to get a brush through her. we've tried shaving her with a normal electric razor, and cutting off some of the clumps, but she definitely needs professional care. my dad keeps saying he's going to book an appointment to get her shaved, but said appointment has never arrived, and i don't know what the deal is with that. i don't know if it's a financial issue or a lack of care, but either way, i'm worried about B. she doesn't like being picked up and she's rarely affectionate anymore because of the pain she's in.

A is where i have more of an issue. A has been overweight most her life, to the point where she can't jump and acts lethargic most of the time. i think she suffers from joint pains because of it, because she walks like she's carrying the weight of the world on her back. i want to take her to a vet to get her checked up on and discuss a weight loss plan for her, but when i bring the idea up to my family, my older brother brushes it off and says she's fine, and my dad, again, halfheartedly mentions he'll consider putting her on a diet, but no action has really been taken, and no progress made. more infuriatingly, though, A's recently been developing several lumps on her body, which could potentially be cancerous, but there's no way of knowing unless we seek professional vet care. again, my brother brushes it off, saying that 'animals just get lumpy eventually', and generally doesn't seem to care for her (or B's) wellbeing overall. and my dad either doesn't care or hasn't even noticed. i also don't know if this is related or not, but A vomited several times this morning (more than usual even for her) and is acting more lethargic than usual, and she's been sneezing often. i think she might be sick, but i don't know with what, how severe, or anything, because i can't take her to the damn vet. luckily my family did seem to take notice of these things too, but at this point i honestly doubt anything would be done about it unless she's half-dead.

i wish i knew what to do. i honestly want to just rehome them ASAP at this point, but how would i break that to my family? what kind of medical care would we have to seek first? this isn't something i know how to navigate, but someone has to take action somehow, and if no one else will, then that responsibility is mine. the question on the subject line is also not rhetorical, i want to know how far this would constitute a situation of neglect; both so i can justify my anger about it and so i know how urgent the situation is.

thank you to anyone who's read this, and especially to anyone who may be able to point me in the right direction here :hearthrob:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
forgive my essay, but i can't just keep these concerns to myself.

so i'm currently dependent on my dad, and a bit on my older brother who lives with us. (i'm almost an adult.) i've had 2 cats since childhood, let's call one A and the other B. when my parents split, my cats moved with my dad, but now that i live with him & i'm old enough to recognize things like this, i've noticed some issues with the cats, particularly with A. i can drive, but i don't have my own car, and public transport is minimal where i live; and i currently have no source of personal income to cover the costs of professional care. both my dad and older brother have sources of income and can drive, though i don't know how much they have to spare for pet care costs; but considering we live a relatively lower-middle-class life, it doesn't seem too unattainable if we get a financial plan for them.

B is mostly healthy, but they haven't been brushing her, which is bad since she's longhaired. her fur has developed so many mats and tangles that now it's impossible to get a brush through her. we've tried shaving her with a normal electric razor, and cutting off some of the clumps, but she definitely needs professional care. my dad keeps saying he's going to book an appointment to get her shaved, but said appointment has never arrived, and i don't know what the deal is with that. i don't know if it's a financial issue or a lack of care, but either way, i'm worried about B. she doesn't like being picked up and she's rarely affectionate anymore because of the pain she's in.

A is where i have more of an issue. A has been overweight most her life, to the point where she can't jump and acts lethargic most of the time. i think she suffers from joint pains because of it, because she walks like she's carrying the weight of the world on her back. i want to take her to a vet to get her checked up on and discuss a weight loss plan for her, but when i bring the idea up to my family, my older brother brushes it off and says she's fine, and my dad, again, halfheartedly mentions he'll consider putting her on a diet, but no action has really been taken, and no progress made. more infuriatingly, though, A's recently been developing several lumps on her body, which could potentially be cancerous, but there's no way of knowing unless we seek professional vet care. again, my brother brushes it off, saying that 'animals just get lumpy eventually', and generally doesn't seem to care for her (or B's) wellbeing overall. and my dad either doesn't care or hasn't even noticed. i also don't know if this is related or not, but A vomited several times this morning (more than usual even for her) and is acting more lethargic than usual, and she's been sneezing often. i think she might be sick, but i don't know with what, how severe, or anything, because i can't take her to the damn vet. luckily my family did seem to take notice of these things too, but at this point i honestly doubt anything would be done about it unless she's half-dead.

i wish i knew what to do. i honestly want to just rehome them ASAP at this point, but how would i break that to my family? what kind of medical care would we have to seek first? this isn't something i know how to navigate, but someone has to take action somehow, and if no one else will, then that responsibility is mine. the question on the subject line is also not rhetorical, i want to know how far this would constitute a situation of neglect; both so i can justify my anger about it and so i know how urgent the situation is.

thank you to anyone who's read this, and especially to anyone who may be able to point me in the right direction here :hearthrob:
THANK YOU for caring and THANK YOU for posting, coppercobbles coppercobbles ! A shave for Cat B is definitely needed, not with a human razor, which might injure her. And no, animals do NOT "just get lumpy eventually." Not at all. Not any more than humans do. And it is definitely a cause for concern. Could you look into something like CareCredit, which helps people pay their vet bills, or even a GoFundMe if you can get an idea of what vet costs would be? Rehoming would be great if there were good, responsible, loving homes for them, but this is a very difficult time.
Raising their food bowls (if you don't have raised bowls, you could put them on top of a box, book, or other raised surface) may help with the vomiting.
They definitely both need veterinary care. All living beings need and deserve care when they have health issues. I know it is a very difficult time in general, and in your life. Try to gently influence your dad/family to obtain care for your feline family members. Keep up the good efforts and caring. You are wonderful for doing so. My *PRAYERS* for your cats! and for you and your family.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would say having a cat that is full of mats would be called neglect, but really, it depends on how bad the mats are. I have a long haired cat who tends to develop mats even though I comb him every single day. But he still develops them in areas that he doesn't allow me to reach with the comb or brush, like his chest :sigh:. So, if the cat is covered with mats so much that his skin is constantly being pulled and you cannot get a comb in between his skin and the mats that might be called neglect. "full of mats" is definitely neglect, but a few is probably not. BUT, once they take hold, it's really not feasible to try to brush them out. You've got to stay on top of them and catch them when they are teeny tiny or they will continue to develop, so if you do manage to get him to the groomer, YOU should probably take over brushing or combing him every day to keep them from reoccuring.

As to Cat A, if being overweight were a crime, possibly half the cat owners would be accused of being neglectful. Really it's almost the opposite. I'm not sure you can say that feeding too much is neglectful. But cats are like humans in that calories matter, so if Cat A is being free fed as much as much as she wants, and she doesn't exercise much, she is going to put on the pounds. You have two options here. Feed her less, and perhaps YOU can offer to take over the feeding process and put them on scheduled feedings (I'm guessing they are free fed?) and/or play with her more to get her to exercise more. Or both. We can help you with how much she should be eating, but for that we need to know how much she should weigh, not how much she weighs now.

As to the vomiting, is that hairball vomiting, or soon after eating, or what? And she very well could have joint pain. Cats get arthritis just like humans, and the heavier they are, the worse it could be. How old is she? As to the lumps, older cats and dogs sometimes develop skin tags, but not sure this is what you are talking about or not. I'm not even sure she is an older cat. I think for certain she should see a Vet for a general check-up in lieu of what you have told us and wonder why your brother seems to run the show. Have you sat down with your father and told him your concerns, without your brother around to "poo poo" your thoughts? I'd try that since he seems more receptive.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wet food has fewer calories and more moisture than dry food, which is more calorically dense. Many experts, and I agree with them, recommend feeding the highest quality wet food you can, 2-3 times a day, and no, or minimal, dry food. I feed high quality wet food (Blue Buffalo and Soulistic) 2-3 times a day, and I have Blue Buffalo mature cat chicken formula dry food offered free-choice. I also have a filtered water fountain and 3 bowls of fresh water available at all times.

Danneq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you post some pictures of the lumps, we might be able to guess if they're skin tags, lipomas, or something serious. (With the obvious caveat that we are not vets and that the only way to be sure is to bring them to a vet.) But maybe we can help you narrow down what they might be, so that you can do research to show your dad that it's really serious, not just you being anxious?