Is My Cat's Incision Healing??

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The pics aren't great - as you know. But I would say that needs a follow up with the vet. Don't you have what is normally consider part of the process with a checkup following the spay just to make sure things are going OK? Nonetheless, I would err on the side of caution and have that looked at. It is probably nothing drastic, but better to be safe than sorry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Udbhav R

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How about these photos? I've sent the vet the pictures but he wouldn't get back to me until a while so I posted here in panic!
IMG-20220328-WA0003.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am long beyond spaying (let's say 15 years), but I think it might need to be treated with some antibiotics to ward off any infection that could be brewing. It seems as if the stitches might have 'popped'. I don't see any swelling, so that is good. If she is doing well otherwise, and the area is not sensitive to touch, wait to see if you hear from the vet soon.

Udbhav R

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What do you mean 'popped'? Please elaborate... I apologize.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The stitches have been pulled out, either by your cat or they broke - due to activity or who knows why. The incision looks to be a bit open, that is why I am saying that. Some vets use dissolvable stitches on the inside tissues that are absorbed naturally by the body. Some use those same ones on the outside layer of skin too, others use non dissolvable ones that need to be removed. I don't know which was used by your vet, so that is a good reason to get them involved. Don't panic - I truly don't see this as a panic situation, just one that needs to be looked at.

The big thing is to keep her from outside so that the area is not unnecessarily exposed to dirt.

Udbhav R

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There's three layers of dissolvable sutures on her, with an external non-dissolvable one. She had opened her stitches once before for which she had to have an emergency repair surgery 7 days ago.
She has been quite active in the past couple days as I've taken her for vet visits. So, maybe it is that.
What I am concerned about is that if she has opened the stitches with rigorous activity, will that call for a third surgery or just ointments and sprays treatment? Any idea on that? Thanks for the help!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't answer that. Hopefully, this time it is not that drastic. It may require some sedation for a re-suturing, just a guess on my part. But ideally that is all that will be required - if that. You might have to consider confining her more than you did before, so that she can't continually cause damage. Perhaps, sadly, she will need a crate to restrict her movement? Ask the vet about how to stop this ongoing issue with her activity level.