Is my cat's incision healing properly?

adrastus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all! My cat (Soup) got spayed five days ago and I started reading a bunch of articles on post-surgery tips. I've been checking my cat's incision every day and originally I didn't think there was anything wrong with it. But after reading, I got kind of worried. I just want to know if Soup's incision is healing alright since she's the first cat I've had that needed to be spayed in my care, my other cat was already spayed when I took her in.
IMG_4782.jpg

Also, enjoy a photo of pre-surgery Soup!
IMG_1647.jpg

Attachments

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello adrastus adrastus and Soup, welcome to the site, glad you have joined us.
The incision looks fine to me, healing well at 5 day stage. There doesn't appear to be any swelling, redness or weeping. I cant see any stitches but I can see a little blood by the side of her and what looks like a stitch, did the vet stitch or glue the incision. If she has pulled the stitches out you may need to take her back to the vet or at least send the photo to your vet for his opinion. She's a pretty girl.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

adrastus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The incision looks fine to me, healing well at 5 day stage. There doesn't appear to be any swelling, redness or weeping. I cant see any stitches so I presume your vet used glue. If you have any concerns you could send the photo to your vet for his opinion but to me it looks clean. She's a pretty girl.
Thank you so much!! I knew I was getting worried over nothing, all this information began to make me paranoid haha. :kneading:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adrastus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can see a little blood by the side of her and what looks like a stitch, did the vet stitch or glue the incision. If she has pulled the stitches out you may need to take her back to the vet or at least send the photo to your vet for his opinion.
Oops! I forgot to mention, the vet buried the stitches under the skin and did indeed use surgical glue on the incision. There has been no sign of discharge and everything around the wound is relatively dry. The red in the incision is the same shade as the first day (maybe a tad bit darker).

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
After carefully examining the photos, and reading all of the posts, I so agree. This looks perfectly normal. The darkening red you're seeing is simply a tiny bit of residual blood and scab formation. SHOULD there be a tiny bit of clear to pale yellow-ish weeping, that is perfectly normal. Although this far out, I doubt it will happen.

Soup is GORGEOUS! I'd like to welcome BOTH of you to TCS!