Is My Cat Really Preganant?!? Help!?!

Maryg21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have a near 6 month gray and white cat named Tina, who was actually supposed to be spayed this week until I noticed some strange things about her. She was hanging on the window outside and I noticed how much her stomach was bulging out like I had never seen before. Investigated some more about pregnant cats, and she displayed other symptoms such as being very affectionate, nesting behavior, hissing at our other cat, and restlessness. However, I looked at her nipples and they aren’t pink and large! If anything they are small and pale, and her stomach fur isn’t thinning out. Also I don’t remember much signs of her being in heat, however we do live in the country and so get various stray unneutered cats every once and a while. Could she be pregnant?

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is theoretically possible that she is pregnant, especially since she is an unspayed female with access to the outside. However, usually you won't see small pale nipples on a pregnant cat that is far enough along to have an enlarged belly and exhibit nesting behavior. A change in behavior might instead indicate that she is feeling teenage hormones and coming into heat. She may have a big belly from other reasons such as parasites, or she may be eating more than usual in preparation for a growth spurt. It's hard to say for sure.

If she is already scheduled for a spay this week, the question is: if she is indeed carrying an early pregnancy, would you still want to spay her? Going through with a pregnancy is risky for a 6 month old cat, so even if she might be pregnant, if she were my cat I'd go ahead with the spay regardless.