Is my cat pregnant??

P.galore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I am new here. I have a 2 year old intact female exotic shorthair. A couple of weeks ago during a storm a stray from the neighborhood snuck into my house through my basement, I didn't really think anything of it, he left when he saw me. But then the other day I noticed my cat's nipples, which I dont normally notice because she is fluffy. When I feel her abdomen, I can feel her ribs and then from the end of the ribcage I feel a slightly firm rounder abdomen. She is eating a lot. I know that she matches a lot of the signs but I would love to hear from some more experienced folks because I am not 100% sure. Including a pic of the nipples in question.
275788704_1986796471506982_2491894347879282576_n.jpg
275788704_1986796471506982_2491894347879282576_n.jpg

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Since it’s only been a couple weeks, I’d highly suggest you consider booking an emergency spay. Even if she is pregnant, it’s early enough that it wouldn’t be different from a normal spay. Is there any reason she’s not been spayed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

P.galore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has not been spayed because she is purebred and I wanted to keep the option of breeding her open. And no, if she is pregnant I am thrilled. I already know of at least 3 people who would love to take in kittens. my question is whether her nipples appear to be pinked up and if she is actually pregnant.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have breeding rights? Has she been genetically tested clear of all breed related conditions, and had her heart checked? Exotics aren’t a breed where random matchups are acceptable, as they’re predisposed to a lot of potential health issues, including but not limited to misaligned jaws, difficulty breathing, polycystic kidney disease, progressive retinal atrophy (degenerative blindness), as well as risk of severe complications and death with potential risks of blood group incompatibility. Cats with blood group B, which is common in exotics, have anti-A antibodies, which is the most common blood type in moggies. That means if a group A kitten feeds on a group B mother, it’ll die.
I’d highly urge you to reconsider and have her spayed. There are too many potential risks, and there’s no need to bring more moggies into the world — plenty in shelters and on the streets.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

P.galore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah I do have breeding rights. Shes CFA registered. She's healthy. And I am not aborting her kittens regardless if they are "Moggies" I would rather keep them myself than do that. I just wanted some help determining if she is actually pregnant.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi P P.galore ,

It sure sounds like your cat is pregnant from the symptoms that you listed. Those are the classic signs! Her belly should begin to show around the fifth week. Kittens should arrive in 7 or so weeks. Do keep us posted!